Is Reefing Dying?

Frankyrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like I come on here and there are less and less post and when there are post it’s about getting out. What gives. Is Reefing dead. What’s killing the hobby. I think it’s greed. This hobby is expensive enough but when people start charging $800 for a 1/4” frag that’s when people start going away. Most pieces are common now and have circulated many tanks. So why the need to charge $100 for something common like a setosa or green slimer. With all these mushroom crazes people get crazy with prices. At the end of the day I think greed is killing the hobby. Oh well just my take since there’s nothing else on here to read about might as well stir the pot a bit. Happy Reefing.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think Reefing is dying but it's certainly cyclical. People are constantly entering the hobby brand new and many others are routinely leaving/restarting etc.

I think the price of live stock is less of an issue these days. The price of equipment on the other hand has continued to increase.

OP
OP
Frankyrivera

Frankyrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can agree on equipment price increase however most of it is justified by efficiencies they create or new technology and capabilities. But a new bubble on a ricordia and all of a sudden it’s $850. I still think coral prices are insane considering one alk swing and they are gone. On the other hand equipment has some resale value and can outlast most reefers

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a newbie myself, it just gets really frustrating. There is SO much information it is so difficult to determine what you need, what you don't need. There is just so much stuff...it is overwhelming! I also find that I spend several hours a week on my tank, just tweaking things. I feel a lot of ppl are under the impression you can buy fancy equipment and that will negate the need to work on it. So then, they don't get perfect tanks in 6 months and bail.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can agree on equipment price increase however most of it is justified by efficiencies they create or new technology and capabilities. But a new bubble on a ricordia and all of a sudden it’s $850. I still think coral prices are insane considering one alk swing and they are gone. On the other hand equipment has some resale value and can outlast most reefers
Coral prices are CRAZY...but they can only be that way if ppl buy it. ;)

Last edited:

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I get what you're saying, but less than 1% of hobbyists would even consider buying a coral that expensive. Enthusiast pricing isn't really having a large impact on the hobby at all. I'd say the vast majority of people in saltwater will scoff at any fish or coral over 100$.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think much has changed. I also don't think it's cyclical.

I believe you have your "long-termers" who have great patients and have taken their time to set up their tanks...and therefore remain in the hobby for years. And then you have the "two-yearers". These are the impetuous ones who rush everything, talk about how great their system is going to be, buy top end equipment, and are out of the hobby within 2 years. Unfortunately I believe this is more the norm. For us long termers, it's a great opportunity to buy quality used equipment, but overall, bad for the hobby.

It's a hobby with a high turnover.

JMTC

OP
OP
Frankyrivera

Frankyrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what makes most get out. Light choice, tank size, maintenance involved, time required.

OP
OP
Frankyrivera

Frankyrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in the hobby for a long time now and have upgraded 3 times. Yet I find myself in a rut. I’ve been through all kinds of corals and Fish killed many in between yet I still stay but as of late I feel like ehh

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if the maintenance and time required becomes an issue, you have to wonder why you entered the hobby in the first place. For me, I enjoy working on my tank and seeing it thrive. Sure I get frustrated, but who doesn't. People in this hobby will buy the most expensive equipment and have no idea how to use it. Buy corals and not know how to care for them. I have freshwater fish as well so it's double maintenance for me. It's just something I enjoy. So, I definitely think that people lose interest and probably because this is far from an easy hobby but, there are many who embrace it and figure out how to endure.

b7fig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like I come on here and there are less and less post and when there are post it’s about getting out. What gives. Is Reefing dead. What’s killing the hobby. I think it’s greed. This hobby is expensive enough but when people start charging $800 for a 1/4” frag that’s when people start going away. Most pieces are common now and have circulated many tanks. So why the need to charge $100 for something common like a setosa or green slimer. With all these mushroom crazes people get crazy with prices. At the end of the day I think greed is killing the hobby. Oh well just my take since there’s nothing else on here to read about might as well stir the pot a bit. Happy Reefing.

Lack of stores. A few years ago, we had 5 saltwater stores. No we 1, sort of. A couple of tanks for maintenance mainly.
Hard to start a newbie in the hobby with no place to go

stan13ag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's died down in my area, and I was trying to figure out why today. Back when our local club was at it's peak, we had a fairly large chain retailer, in a prime location selling bio cubes like crazy and giving out bad information. It's how I got into the hobby, along with many others. Most people eventually moved on. Personally i get excited about my tank a small part of the year, and for the rest of the year I'm in Maintenance/reaction mode.... LARS as they call it.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some people do not like the commitment. I almost got out 5 years ago. When I realized what a pain it would be to break everything down and get everything out without killing everything, I figured it was easier to clean the tank and continue. :confused:
Since then I've moved, moved tank twice (had to break it all down anyway), upgraded, and am now thinking about getting another tank, as I've pretty much run out of space in the current tank.o_O I must be crazy!!

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only entered the hobby in the last few years, but I've asked people the same thing. They all said fragging is what spiraled things out of control. He tells me he remembers when euphyllia starter colonies went from $20 to $25 and thought no one is going to pay more, they've always been $20 for however many heads comes on it. "Back in the day" a frag was what we now consider a mini colony. No one really named corals either. They just grew until they became a problem, were broken up and given away. But now, omg is that an "ultra soooper house fire staff of gandolph" (that you happened to just name on your own). Oh you're charging $700 for a shave off one of the polyp holes, it must be awesome!" I've personally had some crazy awesome wild SPS colonies in the past. Tips would randomly get broken off and in the sand, and I wouldnt even think or care. Then I see people on FB groups selling "frags" that are just tiny little tips where there is more super glue on the plug than coral and they're charging stupid amounts for pieces that arent even worth picking out of the sand. My LFS sometimes gets caught up into it also. He just tried to get me to buy some japanese gobies or whatever, and I said I dont want them because I'm not a fan. "oh but they're rare!" .....Yeah i dont care. I like what looks good and isnt inflated because of the "ultra" tag.
I just buy what looks good at a good price for me now. I also dont try to build a "dream tank" of coral anymore. All these crazy sps tanks you see jam packed from sand to lights with colonies, every single one I've read up on afterwards has "crashed" and been wiped out.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll tell u like this, there were so many extremely frustrating times where fish were dying and I was so hurt that they were dying like that, that I wanted to just get out of it, but then I say to myself, what about the remaining healthy fish, I can't just give them away, whose gonna take care of them? We all know that no one can give our fish the proper love and care that we do (all in our heads)!! Who can relate

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd argue most people who consider or decide to get out of the hobby aren't doing it because of lack of success. In my experience it's almost always a time commitment/financial drain or boredom that pushes most people out.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So what makes most get out. Light choice, tank size, maintenance involved, time required.

Probably part of it is access to local stores to see aquaria. Now everything is done online. Which to people who are interested in reefing is great - but - it does little to stimulate 'new interest'. People used to walk into a 'pet store' and say - I want that. Now they do not - at least not to the degree they used to. Im not sure that many people 'get out' per se - but are they as many people 'getting in'?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Just curious besides the fact that you seem to want to get out - what do you base the idea that there are droves of other people that want to do the same?

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if the maintenance and time required becomes an issue, you have to wonder why you entered the hobby in the first place. For me, I enjoy working on my tank and seeing it thrive. Sure I get frustrated, but who doesn't. People in this hobby will buy the most expensive equipment and have no idea how to use it. Buy corals and not know how to care for them. I have freshwater fish as well so it's double maintenance for me. It's just something I enjoy. So, I definitely think that people lose interest and probably because this is far from an easy hobby but, there are many who embrace it and figure out how to endure.
I totally feel the same way! My husband thinks I am nuts but I really enjoy "working" on my tank. I find it cathartic, even if it is scraping off a chunk of bubble algae! ;Deado_O

coil1002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a ten year break after an ice storm took out my power for a week. I lost every thing I was so crushed. I have been reefing since the early 90s and have had a fish tank as long as I can remember my parents kept salt tanks when I was a kid. No rock just coral skeletons an under gravel filters. Oh the 70s.

This time around my butt bought a generator right after I bought this tank. never ceases to amaze me that I would dump thousands into a glass box but scoff at the 400 bucks to protect that investment. Live and learn.

I have seen a lot of crazes come and go. and allot of fish stores go away. I think the hobby is not dying but not expanding as much as it used too. Prices on equipment thats usually carried in retail stores gives most wide eyed newbies sticker shock and they move on. The ones that don't either really want a reef or don't realize the work involved or both. So you get your in and out hobbyists. however the ones that stick are usually quality after the trial by fire I like to call starting a reef tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back