Is removing megaflow from a reef ready DT doable?

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is removing megaflow from a reef ready DT doable?

Anyone done this? Pls share how!

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ripped tanks apart before. Not specifically a reef ready, but they are just caulked on.

Get a high E guitar string from an electric guitar (use gloves) and work your way down. Any music store that sells guitars probably has scrap E strings...

Then get a razor scraper thing to clean up the silicone from the glass.

This post can be used for guidance on cleaning up the silicone:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-reseal-a-tank.426666/

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a corner over flow out of a 90 gallon years ago. Removing the plastic overflow was super simple, razer blade down the overflow and pull it out!

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered if it would be that simple... lol...

I ended up taking the entire tank apart, taking the overflow out was extremely easy VS taking the tank down to 5 pieces of glass!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I removed mine and covered the holes with 1/4" glass and drilled for a fijicube overflow.

Very easy to do.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did this few months ago with dual overflows. It was a pain to do, as they were siliconed on really good. Ii tried using guitar wire, razor blades and so on, it wasnt going anywhere. Finally I followed this thread for removal: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1934188

I just plugged inside of the tank with 4 pieces of glass, and will be flipping it over to do the bottom as well shortly. Then wait 1 week at least before leak testing it.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I removed mine and covered the holes with 1/4" glass and drilled for a fijicube overflow.

Very easy to do.
Was yours a megaflow? How long did you let thecsilcone patch cure? Size glass for patch? Any advice? I'm doing the Excact same thing Tonight! On way home with FijiCube overflow now! Pretty cool it comes with the drill bit!
Nervous but excited to get that tower out! The texture has allowed bryopsis to root and comes right back after razor & siphon.
Was going to drain & peroxide it.. but might as well correct the real problem while its drained.
Thanks!

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did this few months ago with dual overflows. It was a pain to do, as they were siliconed on really good. Ii tried using guitar wire, razor blades and so on, it wasnt going anywhere. Finally I followed this thread for removal: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1934188

I just plugged inside of the tank with 4 pieces of glass, and will be flipping it over to do the bottom as well shortly. Then wait 1 week at least before leak testing it.
How did this go? Was YOURS a megaflow? Did you really wait a week? My fish will be in 40 breeder on the floor!

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this go? Was YOURS a megaflow? Did you really wait a week? My fish will be in 40 breeder on the floor!
Wow, this is old thread haha. It went as well as expected. No issues or leaks. I did wait a week, as I wanted to make sure that silicone was fully cured before testing it. Since I wasnt in a hurry, I could wait a week or longer.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Glad to hear..esp good to know I didnt trigger Previous Tank Stress Disorder! ha.
Was yours an Aqueon Megaflow? I'm Waiting until I find out if I can safely drill this model or not.
Thanks!

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Glad to hear..esp good to know I didnt trigger Previous Tank Stress Disorder! ha.
Was yours an Aqueon Megaflow? I'm Waiting until I find out if I can safely drill this model or not.
Thanks!
Truth be told I am not sure, as I bought it used.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh..np. This is the Aqueon Megaflow tower.
Curved, dual wall to pull water up through the slots at bottom & middle.
Good concept.. just in reefing..you never want a hidden space you cant ever see, clean, or get to.
If they made the surface smooth & square and the main wall sealed to tank & the outer wall just slid down into rubber grooves..so you can pull out to clean behind it And the front.. or even the choice not to use it.. winner.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gal and less had 1 tower.. and 120 + had 2.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210721-142213_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210721-142213_Google.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20210721-141610_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210721-141610_Google.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 14

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was yours a megaflow? How long did you let thecsilcone patch cure? Size glass for patch? Any advice? I'm doing the Excact same thing Tonight! On way home with FijiCube overflow now! Pretty cool it comes with the drill bit!
Nervous but excited to get that tower out! The texture has allowed bryopsis to root and comes right back after razor & siphon.
Was going to drain & peroxide it.. but might as well correct the real problem while its drained.
Thanks!
Yes, it was. And I let it cure for 4 days before a water test and then drained it and let it sit another week before putting it in the house.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
Looks like I will probably be going this route after all.
I was going to "bite the bullet and just pay for a new regular ol 90gal tank so I can drill & fill. (&spill).. and not wait days for curing while my fish sit in a tank on the floor. ..BUT..
HUGE CHALLENGE!
The few places that had One each.. had no idea if they were tempered... called aqueon for first stores tank & they said most in the last 1.5 years are tempered because of standard glass supply shortage. So I went to pick up the other "Seapora" which said online has the reef aquarist in mind and is drillable!
Perfect!.. Exceppppt.. that's NOT THE BRAND.
Which wasnt noticed till after loaded in my car.. Aquarium Masters!.. with tempered glass stamped in the corners of panels! The ends arent stamped, and I'm finr with that setup actually...I'm just not sure if the smaller panel makes it stronger/better to drill or weaker with less glass overall to compensate. 1/10 th of surface drilled out...vs 1/40th of back panel.
I just want to be done with this nightmare!
My living room has been piled with buckets and bins & pumps & hoses for months trying to get my tank back on track from this effin bryopsis!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back