twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh dang it!
Uhh let me think..

Gosh not much you can do with it at the moment.
As in drinking safely I wouldn't.
I wish I had a better answer!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't drink it either. Once dechlorinated, bacteria can grow in it.

If you are really an eager beaver, you could wash dishes with it, or fill the back of a toilet.

OP
OP
J

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea not that eager was just looking at some of my 5 gallon water jugs thinking maybe it's a good idea to fill one of those up rather than hiking to the grocery store to buy water lol, would I be safe in say a britta filter?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea not that eager was just looking at some of my 5 gallon water jugs thinking maybe it's a good idea to fill one of those up rather than hiking to the grocery store to buy water lol, would I be safe in say a britta filter?

Not sure. It is likely safe anyway, but bacteria are known to grow on RO membranes and I just wouldn't risk it.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting because a company I was looking at for my water softener said I should buy a 6 stage filter for drinking water to pull the sodium out. Now I know the sodium bit is a bunch of bull, but I didn't think about bacterial issues....

Kali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how much you have at a time, how about filling up the washing machine?

acolotto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have your drain line go in your washer! I plan my ro/di water making around my laundry lol

rppvt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubled up the membrane (to diminish the waste) and ran the drain out into the garden where it 'auto-tops off' a small pond full of mosquito fish and hardy aquatic plants. It then makes the grass in that area much nicer than my LA-brown lawn.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In summer I'll definitely have use for it watering plants outside. In winter, not much use for it and no good storage option. I plan to use valves to redirect - either to foundation drain pipes around the house or to a drip irrigation setup of some kind - switch with the seasons.

Zenpandadiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do all my laundry with my ro/di waste and since I'm in the Caribbean I fill up a 55gal drum for the toilets during hurricane season. After the season passes I spend the drum in washing, planting and dishes. Also good for mopping. Just get creative. Ps I teed my system to have the options of using the di filter or not and without the di filter is the water I use for drinking.

saltykisses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodi no!

It's the di resin apparently it continues working which doesn't do you any immediate harm but over a long period of times (I'm talking decades) can cause harm.

Because actually your body needs the minerals...

A bit like how rodi water is too pure for freshwater fish and the reason you have to use remineralised salts..[emoji52]

saltykisses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh eck just read title properly my dyslexia lol....

Last edited by a moderator:

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's high in elements you don't need, nor will be able to break down. Keep it for plants or washing stuff, but only drink ro.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tap water was potable or EPA drinking water quality to begin with and you properly maintain your RO/DI system including annual disinfections, the waste should also be safe to consume as long as it has been stored in a clean sealed container. But, would I do so? Probably not. The brine or waste will be 20-25% or more higher TDS (depending on your exact waste ratio) than the tap water was to begin with and I prefer to lower the waste in my drinking water not raise it.

saltykisses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can drink rodi but it has health implications , because it's pure and in actual fact humans need the impurities minerals etc, I read somewhere this the do part of the water carries on...and that ro water is ok but rodi no don't do it.. Now I could be wrong [emoji33]

New bit just scrolled up and read properly :

Waste water feed plants ... Wash Windows wash dishes ,ect consumption not really full of tds....

I just stick mine down the plug hole [emoji52]

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back