Is Setosa really a Montipora?

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I ask is I have a tank(IM 50 Lagoon-see my build thread) and one of the first corals I put in was a nub of Setosa that I broke off of a colony I had going in another tank as that colony was being overgrown by some Bubblegum digi(the digi won). As time went on I added red cap, seasons greatings, Idaho grape and blue polyp cap montipora. Tank also had regular green and TNT red anacropora in it. I bought a frag of green monti cap from the LFS and missed the montipora eating nudibranch eggs on it. Within weeks all the above listed montipora was eaten to death except the setosa. The setosa was never touched by the nudibranch and is still doing great. After a few months fallow with no montipora in the tank(to starve the MEN) I started over with new monti caps and all are doing well 6 months later.
Any ideas? Is setosa really a montipora? Has anyone ever had their setosa eaten by montipora eating nudibranch?

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely a montipora (Montipora setosa is actually the species). I've never seen monti eating nudis on it before, personally, but I would definitely assume that they could be subject to being eaten.

OP
OP
tnw50cal

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely a montipora (Montipora setosa is actually the species). I've never seen monti eating nudis on it before, personally, but I would definitely assume that they could be subject to being eaten.
In the last few years a lot of species of coral have been moved to different families than they were in. Example Acans.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the vast majority of those cases the taxonomic adjustment is due to genetic mapping. It would not be out of the question that the Genus could change, but morphological it is most similar to montipora. It would not surprise me to see it bumped into a monotypic genus at some point, though as it is in fact a fairly unusual growth form and polyp density for Montipora species.

I will be interested to see if others have had MEN on their setosa colonies, though. Even within genera, sometimes feeding isn't uniform amongst predators. For example, acropora species being selected by red bugs depending on textural differences.

OneSockERock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've questioned its classification based on the lack of nudi affinity too.

Anecdotal of course, but I had the same experience with the nudis avoiding the Setosa frag and instead chomping down on my mystic sunset, sunset, cherry tree, tropic thunder and starry night montis all in the same 10gal QT. Setosa was the only monti in the tank I never found a nudi on during the whole ordeal.

In my experience as well, they at least seem to strongly prefer other montis over Setosa. Whether or not they would have migrated to the Setosa once the other pieces were gone I won't be able to tell. Unfortunately my heater failed in that QT tank, hit 95F while I was at work and nuked em all. Came home to hot cloudy water, dead snails and 2ppm+ ammonia. Sucks cause it had been 3 weeks since I had seen a nudi come off in the twice a week dips, and I was about to declare the war won. :( I'm still salty about it as you can tell lol. Live and learn - no more cheap Tetra heaters without inkbirds.

Setosa polyps do look distinctively monti, maybe they produce some natural repellent in their tissues to prevent predation? It'll be interesting to see if this piece does eventually get reclassified with genetic evidence.

I really loved that frag for the oddball it was, I gotta get another piece soon.

OP
OP
tnw50cal

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
though as it is in fact a fairly unusual growth form and polyp density for Montipora species.
Mine didn't get the memo on polyp density
IMG_0270.JPG

Zekireef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last few years a lot of species of coral have been moved to different families than they were in. Example Acans.
I always though acroporidae had ben well described, there’s bound to be a little bit of play there though. I know there’s a lot of movement within the larger polyp genera, acans being the chief example haha! Mind you though I just appreciate and try my best at growing Montoya and acros, I’m in no way an expert in describing species!!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Count me in as another witness to MENS ignoring setosa. JF Red Hot in my case.

What is everyone's favorite dip for MENS? Melaleuca based stuff seems to get them of pretty quick for me.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back