Is social media good or bad for the hobby?

markron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think social media is great for the hobby. Different people prefer different platforms and no matter what platform(s) you use, you can find others with similar interests and share information and ideas. Before social media, we were limited to a few books and a handful of local reefers the help us learn and make decisions for our tanks whereas now, we can share information and experience with an exponential number of people across the world. Just like anything, the user has to look at the source of information and decide if it’s credible info or not and that can be based on looking at their tank, years in the hobby, if they perhaps work at an LFS, etc... I also think a lot of people lose track of how much time they spend on social media and can end up spending more time than intended on it. For me, shutting off notifications is helpful. I only go onto social media when I am looking to kill time or if I’m searching for information receive free spotify plays.
I believe social media has been a tremendous asset to the hobby. With various platforms available, individuals can connect with like-minded enthusiasts, regardless of their geographic location. This has vastly expanded our ability to share information and ideas related to our interests, such as reef-keeping. In the past, our resources were limited to a few books and local connections, but now we have access to a wealth of knowledge from a global community. However, it's essential for users to discern the credibility of the information they encounter on social media. Factors such as the individual's experience in the hobby, the condition of their own tank, or if they work in a related field can influence their expertise. Additionally, it's easy to lose track of time while browsing social media, so implementing strategies like disabling notifications can help manage usage. Personally, I only engage with social media when I have spare time or when seeking specific information.

Back