Is something eating my sandsifting star

  • Thread starter Thread starter drblank1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

drblank1

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2020
Messages
341
Reaction score
160
Location
Cincinnati
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See picture. I got this star fish about a month ago. He moves around the tank and goes into the sand. Seems to be doing OK but I'm not sure if he has a sickness/disease or something is nibbling on him. Looks like small chunks of him are gone and the tips of a couple of his tentacles are missing. The only thing in my tank that I could think would take bits out of him are the conches or the hermit crabs. I didn't circle all the white marks on his body. Any insight is appreciate. Thank you.

Star.jpg
 
How old is your system?
Sand sifting stars tend to starve and not live long in captivity unfortunately. It does look like yours is starting to deteriorate.
2 years old. Lots of food in the sand as I don't vacuum. Some of the "holes" seem to be healing over. Not sure he is malnutritioned. Pretty sure something is "biting" the starfish.
 
2 years old. Lots of food in the sand as I don't vacuum. Some of the "holes" seem to be healing over. Not sure he is malnutritioned. Pretty sure something is "biting" the starfish.
How long have you had the starfish? How big is your tank? Do you have crabs, anemones, coral, aggressive fish, or anything in your tank you suspect?
 
Had the starfish for about a month. The tank is a 70 gallon. I have an anemone but he is up high in the rock and the starfish hasn't climbed the rocks yet. I was think maybe the conches but not sure a starfish is on its diet. Everything else is very passive/friendly fish. Also my corals are zoanthids and sps.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new