Stressed Midas Blenny not eating

NAZAquatics

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 3, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distressed Midas Blenny:

Hello all, I have a midas blenny I need help with. I bought him pre quarantined about 8 months ago and up until yesterday he was always out and about begging for food. I made sure to feed him a lot between frozen mysis, freeze dried brine shrimp and spirulina flakes.

Yesterday I came home during lunch and he wasn't out with the rest of the fish, he was up in his hiding spot, not moving. Even after I put some food in the tank. For his nighttime hiding spot he would perch upside down underneath my light mount at the top of the tank. I was afraid he was dead so I mistakenly poked him with my finger until he came out. He immediately turned a dark blotchy stressed color and kinda fell / slowly swam to the bottom of the tank. I kept the lights off yesterday and he's been sitting there since yesterday breathing somewhat fast, about 90 bpm.

Today he has borrowed down a little deeper and he's just sitting there under a red xenia and between my zoas and birdsnest. He won't eat anything. I even had some garlic soaked mysis that drifted right into him.

Any ideas? Should I just let him be? Take him out to a quarantine tank? Should I add a better hiding spot near him? Maybe put a pvc pipe down there?

I didn't notice any signs of parasites or disease, but I also haven't been able to get a good look.

I haven't added anything recently other then some quarantined invertss and coral frags from drreef a few weeks ago. All other fish, corals and tank parameters are fine.



1000019133.jpg
 
Distressed Midas Blenny:

Hello all, I have a midas blenny I need help with. I bought him pre quarantined about 8 months ago and up until yesterday he was always out and about begging for food. I made sure to feed him a lot between frozen mysis, freeze dried brine shrimp and spirulina flakes.

Yesterday I came home during lunch and he wasn't out with the rest of the fish, he was up in his hiding spot, not moving. Even after I put some food in the tank. For his nighttime hiding spot he would perch upside down underneath my light mount at the top of the tank. I was afraid he was dead so I mistakenly poked him with my finger until he came out. He immediately turned a dark blotchy stressed color and kinda fell / slowly swam to the bottom of the tank. I kept the lights off yesterday and he's been sitting there since yesterday breathing somewhat fast, about 90 bpm.

Today he has borrowed down a little deeper and he's just sitting there under a red xenia and between my zoas and birdsnest. He won't eat anything. I even had some garlic soaked mysis that drifted right into him.

Any ideas? Should I just let him be? Take him out to a quarantine tank? Should I add a better hiding spot near him? Maybe put a pvc pipe down there?

I didn't notice any signs of parasites or disease, but I also haven't been able to get a good look.

I haven't added anything recently other then some quarantined invertss and coral frags from drreef a few weeks ago. All other fish, corals and tank parameters are fine.
pLEASE POST A VIDEO OF 20 SECS UNDER A WHITE LIGHT, NO BLUE LIGHTING TO ASSESS FISH.
 
pLEASE POST A VIDEO OF 20 SECS UNDER A WHITE LIGHT, NO BLUE LIGHTING TO ASSESS FISH.
Unfortunately I can't get a video of him. He has dug a burrow between two rocks, and I can only see part of the top of his head. This picture I took earlier is the best I could do. Now he has buried himself a little deeper. Every now and then I see him shift sand out of his burrow.



Screenshot_20260930_144130_Gallery.jpg
 
Unfortunately I can't get a video of him. He has dug a burrow between two rocks, and I can only see part of the top of his head. This picture I took earlier is the best I could do. Now he has buried himself a little deeper. Every now and then I see him shift sand out of his burrow.



Screenshot_20260930_144130_Gallery.jpg
When you get a chance, Please do
 
Here's a video. You can see him move his tail and spit out sand. He seems to be digging a hole.

 
Should I set up a QT tank and relocate the blenny there? I'm concerned that will only frighten him more.
You could but only if treatment is required. Im trying to see overall body to determine a couple of possibilities
 
You could but only if treatment is required. Im trying to see overall body to determine a couple of possibilities
A few more videos. I see what looks like a grain of sand above his eye. And perhaps small bubbles towards his face.



 
A few more videos. I see what looks like a grain of sand above his eye. And perhaps small bubbles towards his face.



Videos dont play. You tube version is best
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new