Is something wrong with my clownfish?

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clownfish in a biocube 14 along with my cuc. The clownfish seem to be acting different than when I got them at the lfs. They seem to have a loss of appetite since I first got them and they hardly ever leave the top of the aquarium. My aquarium has been running for about a month now. Is something wrong? If so please tell me. I'll send a video soon.

Thanks for you help!:)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
params and video will help

ac4570

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have they been in your tank for the month or did you just add them? I believe clowns are very territorial so they may take time to get used to their new home (someone correct me if I’m wrong here). My clown took about a week to act “normal” after moving him from QT to my main tank.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tanks not looking to good:(. ammonia is <0.2ppm, nitrite is also <0.2ppm, and nitrate is <10ppm. last week they were at <0.2 ammonia, 0.0 nitrite, and nitrate <10ppm. ph is 8.2 . How should I lower these levels? thanks for telling me to check. video won't send. I'll try to again.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have they been in your tank for the month or did you just add them? I believe clowns are very territorial so they may take time to get used to their new home (someone correct me if I’m wrong here). My clown took about a week to act “normal” after moving him from QT to my main tank.
I have had the fish in the tank for a month. I did not QT because they are my only fish and there was nothing else in the tank with them.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, how long ago were they added? My clowns barely picked at food the first few days, but after they established their territory, they perked right up! I think they just need to find a home :) make sure they’re not breathing hard, getting spots/blotches, or anything like that and they should be fine. If they don’t start eating in 3-5 days then definitely try switching foods/using garlic or something like that to entice them. Good luck!

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, how long ago were they added? My clowns barely picked at food the first few days, but after they established their territory, they perked right up! I think they just need to find a home :) make sure they’re not breathing hard, getting spots/blotches, or anything like that and they should be fine. If they don’t start eating in 3-5 days then definitely try switching foods/using garlic or something like that to entice them. Good luck!
I've been feeding them spirulina 20 flake, and frozen brine shrimp, but I think I'll try garlic. thanks

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You mentioned you had the tank for a month as well as the fish for a month. Did the tank cycle first before adding them? The ammonia is an issue and wondering if Either the tank is still cycling or you are getting a mini-cycle with two new fish in the tank And the bioload needs to catch up. A water change is a good idea But watch the ammonia level

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned you had the tank for a month as well as the fish for a month. Did the tank cycle first before adding them? The ammonia is an issue and wondering if Either the tank is still cycling or you are getting a mini-cycle with two new fish in the tank And the bioload needs to catch up. A water change is a good idea But watch the ammonia level
yes I cycled the tank.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone know if there anything wrong with them staying at the top of the aquarium?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
increase top water movement ,water change,poss lack oxygen?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes or point return upward

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how long have they been pacing,eating at all??

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like the tank is doing a mini cycle with two clowns in 14 gallons of volume. increase the surface agitation for oxygen, but could be just their behavior. Mine slept at back overflow every night.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back