New Clownfish

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought my new Clownfish and I just wanted to ask if they're healthy, one of them has "algae" on his head, and the other on his body, I don't really know if they have ich or not, white dots appeared yesterday and they disappeared today, I'm just scared I bought infected clownfish...
(by the way the dots on the photos are air bubbles not ich)

20240216_192320.jpg Screenshot_20240216_160419_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240216_160325_Gallery.jpg 20240216_154835.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought my new Clownfish and I just wanted to ask if they're healthy, one of them has "algae" on his head, and the other on his body, I don't really know if they have ich or not, white dots appeared yesterday and they disappeared today, I'm just scared I bought infected clownfish...
(by the way the dots on the photos are air bubbles not ich)

20240216_192320.jpg Screenshot_20240216_160419_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240216_160325_Gallery.jpg 20240216_154835.jpg
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I can’t see the algae you mentioned.

One of the hallmarks of an ich infection when it starts up, is that the spots come and go because the parasites are reproducing in sync. Later on, the spots will be on the fish all the time (if it is ich).

The one clown has some tail damage. Did that happen after you bought the fish? Clowns often fight, and it usually settles down, but not always.

Jay

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I can’t see the algae you mentioned.

One of the hallmarks of an ich infection when it starts up, is that the spots come and go because the parasites are reproducing in sync. Later on, the spots will be on the fish all the time (if it is ich).

The one clown has some tail damage. Did that happen after you bought the fish? Clowns often fight, and it usually settles down, but not always.

Jay
They were all like that in the shop, the pair nip together and yeah I also noticed that, I thought it was discoloration. About ich, can I use Tetra Medica ContraIck? I have that at home I use for neon tetras

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were all like that in the shop, the pair nip together and yeah I also noticed that, I thought it was discoloration. About ich, can I use Tetra Medica ContraIck? I have that at home I use for neon tetras
No, that is really a freshwater ich medication. Coppersafe or copper power are better choices - but these cannot be used in tanks with invertebrates or calcium based rocks.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice both your fish, they are right up at the water surface, and the surface looks very flat. How are you oxygenating the water? If no skimmer, then its important to get a powerhead in the tank and point it up at the water surface to agitate and create gas exchange, it will put oxygen into the water and help your fish breath.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice both your fish, they are right up at the water surface, and the surface looks very flat. How are you oxygenating the water? If no skimmer, then its important to get a powerhead in the tank and point it up at the water surface to agitate and create gas exchange, it will put oxygen into the water and help your fish breath.
100th time saying this but ok... my tank has a strong "skimmer" (the filter shoots at the water) that the water is full of bubbles, strong power head that pushes the clownfish and I set the powehead to the lowest level of waves because the clownfish were suffering to swim

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back