Is Tap Water for Bleach Curing OK?

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my question: Do I need to use RODI water for bleach curing the dry rock? I mean, is it really that important? I mean, afterall, tap (municipal) water contains chlorine along with other minerals. Plus, once the cure is done, I plan on rinsing the dry rock several times with RODi and dechlorinator (Seachem Prime) to make sure all of the chlorine and chloramines are completely eliminated.

Of course, I will use RODI to begin cycling the dry rock after I cure it completely. But I have heard people say that you don't need to waste your money (rodi filters) making rodi water just to bleach cure dry rock......thoughts?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my question: Do I need to use RODI water for bleach curing the dry rock? I mean, is it really that important? I mean, afterall, tap (municipal) water contains chlorine along with other minerals. Plus, once the cure is done, I plan on rinsing the dry rock several times with RODi and dechlorinator (Seachem Prime) to make sure all of the chlorine and chloramines are completely eliminated.

Of course, I will use RODI to begin cycling the dry rock after I cure it completely. But I have heard people say that you don't need to waste your money (rodi filters) making rodi water just to bleach cure dry rock......thoughts?
So, is this old live rock (and you want to remove old organics) or just plain dry rock?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back