Is the default lighting on this tank good enough for macro?

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2.5 gallon Fluval spec and I was wondering if the lighting is good for growing macro. I set this thing up for something that sadly didn't make it very long and wanted to try converting it into a macro algae tank to make nutrients more manageable.

In particular I bought Dragon's tongue, Palm Tree Caulerpa, and Caulerpa Mexicana, and plan on halimeda eventually.

I do have a back up light in a kessil A80 tuna sun, but I wanted to see if the current light is good enough because the tank, without any heater, and with the default light off stays at 79 degrees surprisingly. If I have to use the tuna sun what height/settings is recommended for this? I don't intend on growing anything but macro and maybe i'd give something soft like xenia a chance.

What kind of issues down the road should I expect trying a macro tank this small? I plan on having nutrient heavy animals in this (harlequin shrimp species setup is the goal post currently) but PH is my main concern.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
use both. The stock light may not be enough or switch to the kessil

macrouk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of examples of people growing macros in these tanks including myself - I assume it’s the Marine version? In my case the light is a bit much for a low energy system and I get excess algae on the glass if I run it full power with the blues.

OP
OP
Stomatopods17

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of examples of people growing macros in these tanks including myself - I assume it’s the Marine version? In my case the light is a bit much for a low energy system and I get excess algae on the glass if I run it full power with the blues.

I'm not aware of any marine version but the light is indeed this

1687768916502.png

1687769070950.png

(Also I need to correct myself, my kessil is a H80 tuna flora not an a80, just checked its box i had it about 6 months and never used it lol)

If this would be enough for stuff like dragon's tongue that'd be wonderful as I like the white light look better, I assume the kessil would look too purple at the right settings. Or would I have to use the blue setting?

If I were to use the kessil I'm assuming grow setting, 10" high, 100% intensity is the way to go? Its a display tank with no fuge intended (in other words my Ph is going to suffer).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back