Macro Algae Display Tank

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2019
Messages
1,618
Reaction score
761
Location
Philadelphia
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello All!

I just wanted to show off my new macroalgae display tank. This is a 5.5 Gallon aquarium with a 2” sandbed, piece of live rock which was in my sump from my 4 year old display and a led strip light. I have this tank plumbed to my main display.

The tank is only 1 day old but I will post progress pics here soon. I ordered my macroalgae from Reef Cleaners. Amazing stuff and great price. I love the look of macroalgae but would never put it in my display tank, so I decided to make this.

The types of macroalgae I have in this tank are: Caulerpa Mexicana, Caulerpa Prolifera, Flat Branch Gracilaria, Grape Caulerpa, Palm Caulerpa, Pencil Cap and Shaving Brush. I will keep close eye on this every day making sure that none of the Caulerpa goes “sexual”.

Please excuse the messiness, I still have to do some finishing touches.

IMG_2525.jpeg IMG_2526.jpeg
 
very cool. are you seeding this area with pods?
I have been wanting to do this to my nano setup, but this will be my first time dealing with a real summer so I want to hold off to see how the 10 gallon does before I decide to put a pico plumbed right next to it.
 
very cool. are you seeding this area with pods?
I have been wanting to do this to my nano setup, but this will be my first time dealing with a real summer so I want to hold off to see how the 10 gallon does before I decide to put a pico plumbed right next to it.
I add pods to my system every month or so. I dont have a schedule, pretty much whenever i feel like it. My main display has been up for 4 years so i definitely have a healthy population

here is the tank a few weeks after, crazy growth in such little time. Dont mind the clowns, they laid eggs and i had to separate them temporarily!!! They were attacking my foxface in main display
IMG_2633.jpeg
 
very cool. did you also add a clean up crew to this refugium?

I wonder how this setup has changed your parameters. Will you keep track?
 
Looks great a change from the norm
 
very cool. did you also add a clean up crew to this refugium?

I wonder how this setup has changed your parameters. Will you keep track?
i have a few blue leg hermits and astrea snails

It does suck up no3 and po4 but the levels have been in the range i like them. here and there I will dose no3
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new