Is the DOS a good investment for AWC’s? Is there something better?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I’m doing daily water changes now and want to automate. I’ve read a ton of reviews on the DOS and wanted some feedback from reefers who have one. I always get the most honest info on R2R! I wouldn’t use it for dosing, just AWC’s. Your advice is greatly appreciated!

WillH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used DOS for water changes for a while....worked pretty well. How many gallons are you hoping to change a week? The biggest things are:

* Its a little loud (Whiny) when running at full speed
* It can only change x amount of gallons a day, not a whole lot, I think it was 20 or something like that - which is probably fine if you are going to for smaller changes per day
* Requires to have drain near for old and large fresh salt water source to feed change
* **option, but probably should have optical sensor on fresh salt water tank

I do not use it anymore, seemed a little gimmicky to me. From a stability standpoint, I love the idea of it. In reality, easier for me to get python hose out and do a 50 gallon water change every two weeks. I only ran it a few hours a day while I was at work because of how loud it was.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tha BRS
I used DOS for water changes for a while....worked pretty well. How many gallons are you hoping to change a week? The biggest things are:

* It can only change x amount of gallons a day, not a whole lot, I think it was 20 or something like that - which is probably fine if you are going to for smaller changes per day
* Requires to have drain near for old and large fresh salt water source to feed change

I do not use it anymore, seemed a little gimmicky to me. From a stability standpoint, I love the idea of it. In reality, easier for me to get python hose out and do a 50 gallon water change every two weeks. I only ran it a few hours a day while I was at work because of how loud it was.
[/QUOT
Thanks. I

Thanks. I have a 40g and would only be changing 5g/week, about 90oz/day. I’m trying to decide if daily water changes are really better. Changing 5g/week isn’t a big deal. Since it’s an investment, I want to do a lot of research first. I’ve read that it’s loud, but I could program it for when we’re not at home or are in another part of the house. I really appreciate your help!

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works well enough but I do need to keep and eye on it as My tubing gets clogged sometimes. I change a gallon a day. It is pretty noisy.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be curious to hear a comparison between a DOS set up for awc and an actual standalone awc system like autoaqua’s.
I’ve read up on both and neither had stellar reviews. BRS has videos on both but not a comparison that I’m aware of. The programming part of the DOS through the apex is the biggest advantage that I can see.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the DOS for AWC for 2 years now. As others mentioned, it can be noisy, but if you have a remote place to mount the DOS you can run long tubing to keep it away from your living space. I have mine in the garage near my mixing station with tubing and an AquaBus cable run through the wall to my tank in the living room. The maximum the DOS can pump in one day is 31 gallons, but that's over the entire 24 hours.

The main advantage of using the DOS for AWC is the ability to integrate it with all of your other Apex programming, so for example you can disable it during maintenance, or have optical or float sensors that turn it off if water levels are too low and send you an alert.

IMG_2764.jpg

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the DOS for AWC for 2 years now. As others mentioned, it can be noisy, but if you have a remote place to mount the DOS you can run long tubing to keep it away from your living space. I have mine in the garage near my mixing station with tubing and an AquaBus cable run through the wall to my tank in the living room. The maximum the DOS can pump in one day is 31 gallons, but that's over the entire 24 hours.

The main advantage of using the DOS for AWC is the ability to integrate it with all of your other Apex programming, so for example you can disable it during maintenance, or have optical or float sensors that turn it off if water levels are too low and send you an alert.

IMG_2764.jpg
Thanks! The apex integration is the biggest selling point for me. I don’t mind the noise because I’ll be changing less than a gallon a day. The tank is in our bedroom and I’d have to mount it in the stand, but I could program it for when we’re not at home. I also like the ability to manually push a button to start the AWC. With programming, do you turn off the return pump and powerheads? I would think so. I know the ato would need to be off. Does it pump out the water completely first before adding new saltwater?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The apex integration is the biggest selling point for me. I don’t mind the noise because I’ll be changing less than a gallon a day. The tank is in our bedroom and I’d have to mount it in the stand, but I could program it for when we’re not at home. I also like the ability to manually push a button to start the AWC. With programming, do you turn off the return pump and powerheads? I would think so. I know the ato would need to be off. Does it pump out the water completely first before adding new saltwater?

The default way it's set up is to add and remove water at the same time, so there's no change in water levels that would impact your ATO. Typically you drain upstream from where you add, so the loss of "new" water is minimal. Mine is changing water continuously rather than on demand, but you can do it either way. I keep my pumps and powerheads running.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The default way it's set up is to add and remove water at the same time, so there's no change in water levels that would impact your ATO. Typically you drain upstream from where you add, so the loss of "new" water is minimal. Mine is changing water continuously rather than on demand, but you can do it either way. I keep my pumps and powerheads running.
Oh that’s a great feature! How much do they replace/minute? I’d be changing less than a gallon/day.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that’s a great feature! How much do they replace/minute? I’d be changing less than a gallon/day.

The fastest the DOS can pump is 250 ml/minute (approx. 8.5 oz/min), so it’s not super fast. It also won’t run continuously because it needs to stop every few minutes to cool the motors. It does this automatically. The most it can pump in one hour is about 1.3 gallons.

Also, the faster it runs the louder it is, so many people choose to run it slower than full speed. Its slowest setting is 7 ml/min.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fastest the DOS can pump is 250 ml/minute (approx. 8.5 oz/min), so it’s not super fast. It also won’t run continuously because it needs to stop every few minutes to cool the motors. It does this automatically. The most it can pump in one hour is about 1.3 gallons.

Also, the faster it runs the louder it is, so many people choose to run it slower than full speed. Its slowest setting is 7 ml/min.
Thanks. It sounds like the small water changes I want to use it for wouldn’t be a big deal. Thanks everyone for all your help!!

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have used spectrapure litermeter 3 and water exchange module. cant imagine there is a better set up out there for the hobbiest.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You could look into GHL, either one of there MAXI dosers (Designed for AWC) or there regular 2.1 doser. Completely stand alone with great control (Via phone or computer with wifi built in) and quality. I used a 2.1 on my Nuvo 10 for a year and a half with no issues

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used mine for going on 4 years now and it’s been one of the best things I’ve done for my tank. :) I’ve been very happy with how it has worked for me.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an apex, using DoS for AWC seems like a no brainer. If you have GHL, similar sentiment for the maxi doser. Although a different color, pump heads are essentially the same.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an apex, using DoS for AWC seems like a no brainer. If you have GHL, similar sentiment for the maxi doser. Although a different color, pump heads are essentially the same.
I have an apex jr. I believe the DOS will work with it.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a used double headed Masterflex pump on eBay. It works great, and is bomb proof. And about the same price or less than other options.

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using my DoS for water changes at 2.5gallons a day between 8am - 11am. I have mine 88 feet away from the tank and it has been flawless but as others have said it's very loud!
I was thinking the new versa dosing pumps(they are very quiet) would be great for this, but I was waiting for someone without bias do a review on the setup and operation of them doing awc.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back