Is there a fish that gets too much criticism?

Gumbies R Us

God, Bouldering, and Reefing
View Badges
Joined
Nov 10, 2022
Messages
30,930
Reaction score
54,418
Location
North Georgia
Seller Rating
5 ★
Rating Count
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you believe there is a fish that gets too much criticism from reefers? Let's talk about overhated fish!
 
Domino damsels, yes they're territorial but you can't blame a fish for it's natural behavior. They just need equally aggressive tankmates.
 
Clownfish. I just don’t get why people hate them.
I have no hate I just find them very boring. They're cool with a nem but I know no longer keep nems.

Sixlines. Its a cute little fish that too often gets added to a tank with other cute little fish that are peaceful and it doesn't go well. Put them in a tank with plenty of rock for them to hunt in all day with larger or not so peaceful small fish and I find them to be a great and useful addition.
Like a lot of fish a I suppose. Don't provide a suitable habitat for them it most likely won't work. Often people try things out to see if they work and are surprised when they don't work out.
 
Domino damsels, yes they're territorial but you can't blame a fish for it's natural behavior. They just need equally aggressive tankmates.
IME if your into watching fish aggression they are awesome. It's like a non stop fight. I had one in a 150g with tangs and triggers 3 times its size and it was just a mean tough sob that never let up.
 
IME if your into watching fish aggression they are awesome. It's like a non stop fight. I had one in a 150g with tangs and triggers 3 times its size and it was just a mean tough sob that never let up.
They're such little scrappers! That's exactly why I love them the attitude is hilarious at times. Im surprised one of the triggers didn't get fed up and bite it's head off 😆
 
Do you believe there is a fish that gets too much criticism from reefers? Let's talk about overhated fish!
The Copperband Butterfly is generally considered difficult to keep alive because they don’t eat, or they are prone to disease and starvation, and lots of other factors that cause them to perish in captivity.

I bought mine from my buddy at the lfs who had ordered it for a customer who didn’t buy it because it was too big. I watched it failing (“Deadly ich visible!) in the lfs situation so I bought it to keep it alive and because I had a few aiptasia showing up in the fish tank. I hand caught it at the store and hand released it here at home, it’s been doing fine for many years. Yes, I forgot to QT it, I am old and make stupid mistakes routinely. I did fire up a UV, a year later but it survived all of the challenges like a champ.
 
Clowns i love mine
The Copperband Butterfly is generally considered difficult to keep alive because they don’t eat, or they are prone to disease and starvation, and lots of other factors that cause them to perish in captivity.

I bought mine from my buddy at the lfs who had ordered it for a customer who didn’t buy it because it was too big. I watched it failing (“Deadly ich visible!) in the lfs situation so I bought it to keep it alive and because I had a few aiptasia showing up in the fish tank. I hand caught it at the store and hand released it here at home, it’s been doing fine for many years. Yes, I forgot to QT it, I am old and make stupid mistakes routinely. I did fire up a UV, a year later but it survived all of the challenges like a champ.
The 1 fish i would love to try but heard they are picky eaters and probs wont be able to compete with my goldrim and regal angel for food
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new