Is there a reef-safe lubricant?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own about 6 eFlux power heads from Current USA. These power heads routinely seize after about 1 year of use.

Disassembling one, I found that the shaft of the impeller rests in what appears to be a plastic sleeve on each end. Over time, the portion of the impeller that rotates in the sleeve loses its ability to rotate within the sleeve. I'd like to try a lubricant to see of I can restore function.

Is there a waterproof lubricant that is reef safe that I could try?

Thanks,
Dom

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$22?! The one I linked is only $4 and NSF 61 approved which is safe for drinking water.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own about 6 eFlux power heads from Current USA. These power heads routinely seize after about 1 year of use.

Disassembling one, I found that the shaft of the impeller rests in what appears to be a plastic sleeve on each end. Over time, the portion of the impeller that rotates in the sleeve loses its ability to rotate within the sleeve. I'd like to try a lubricant to see of I can restore function.

Is there a waterproof lubricant that is reef safe that I could try?

Thanks,
Dom
Can you just replace the plastic sleeves?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shaft is supposed to stay put without rotating and the rotor rotates around it so those plastic
"sleeves" on the ends should last for many years.
You should be able to slide the rotor off the shaft and ream out the hole through it. No lubricant is necessary or warranted as it will collect debris and cause the thing to seize.

Unless your powerhead is different.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The be fair it is almost eleven times the amount of grease, so per ounce it’s actually cheaper.
Yeah but if you aren't a plumber who needs that much? I guess he could pass it down generation to generation within his family. "I can't wait to get great great grandpa's o-ring grease!"

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd imagine that most lubricants which are safe to apply to human mucous membranes (like for medical reasons) are safe to put in a reef tank in small amounts. The question is more what's reef-safe and also suitable, since human-relevant lubricants are probably too thin to last long. Definitely pick up some of that silicone O-ring grease.

A good way to begin to check if a product is reef-safe is to see if it would be safe to use with drinkable water and/or wet foods. If you can store soup in a container long-term, that container is reef-safe. If a grease can be used for potable water systems, it's probably a reef-safe grease.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but if you aren't a plumber who needs that much? I guess he could pass it down generation to generation within his family. "I can't wait to get great great grandpa's o-ring grease!"
I use the same lubricant that you linked for most of my o ring lubricating needs, and although it has lasted about a year I could use 5 ounces within my lifetime… I think.
I use it on peristaltic pumps and seals for a swimming pool mostly.

I do agree that if only used for this one specific use then the smaller size is plenty.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use that grease on other jobs also.
Any oring, it's a high pressure sealing grease.
Car, pumps, shafts.
Is used at my work for pressure seals on heat treat furnaces, ect...

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 71 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.3%
Back