Is there a temperature limit for RODI systems?

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting tired of hauling buckets of water from my LFS and am seriously considering an RODI unit. My question is; will it damage the unit or mess up my water quality if it gets too hot? I have room for a small rodi and water mixing station inside, but I would really prefer to build a larger unit in the garage. Unfortunately I live in Florida and it can get REALLY hot out there. Any thoughts?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting tired of hauling buckets of water from my LFS and am seriously considering an RODI unit. My question is; will it damage the unit or mess up my water quality if it gets too hot? I have room for a small rodi and water mixing station inside, but I would really prefer to build a larger unit in the garage. Unfortunately I live in Florida and it can get REALLY hot out there. Any thoughts?
If you install it in the garage, I doubt temp will effect it at all. You are in FL, so no problem. They only thing you would have to think about is when to do water changes to allow the temp to drop and match you DT temp.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can get 95+ inside the area I'm thinking of installing it
Not a problem, you just have to lower the temp of the water to match you DT when doing water changes to prevent a shock to your DT. I sometimes freeze 1 gal zip lock bags full of water and dump them in my sump to lower the temp, you could do something similar on the mixing station.

I am from Miami, and my Mom still lives in Orlando.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Texas and have had my RODI out there for around 7 years. It get well over 100 degrees in our garage this time of the year. It got down to around 36 this winter. It was 6 degrees outside at the time. I did have a space heater running just to keep it above freezing at night. Our washer and dryer are also in the garage. I would doubt that Florida would be much different than Texas. I have the tubing for the RODI and to and from the tank in the attic. I have the 1/4" tubing run through PCV pipe with insulation To protect the tubing and contain any leak in the PVC. That will limit any leak to the place where the tubing enters or exits the POV and not up in the attic.

paparoof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity measurements will be affected by the heat though right? If it's 1.026 at 95 degrees F, it won't be 1.026 at 78, so you need to keep that in mind too no?

Ryan3313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in AZ and keep mine in the garage and it's stupidly hot. Just bring the water in the house the day before so the temp can come down.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the heat effect the efficacy of the filters and membrane?
I think that would depend on the water temp itself. Once the water is flowing that would depend on the temp of the water combing into the house more than anything else. I have not change the membrane yet. I change the other filters and DI once a year. I use RO water for the icemaker and water dispenser on the fridge and to supply top off and fresh water for water changes for my 42 gallon tank. I have TDS meter on the RO output and the DI output. If the RO was to go up a lot I would change out the membrane. It is usually below 5 when water is flowing. The DI is always 0 when flowing. Currently both are reading 0, but there is no flow either.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity measurements will be affected by the heat though right? If it's 1.026 at 95 degrees F, it won't be 1.026 at 78, so you need to keep that in mind too no?
I use a Pinpoint handheld salinity meter and a refractometer. I believe the Pinpoint is temp compensated. The refractometer is suppose to be. Since I read it inside the house I give it a minuted to get to room temp like the refractometer is already. I don't think it would take longer than that for a couple of drops of water to get to the same temp as the refractometer it is on.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in TX and RO is in the garage. I mix out there even though they say its better to mix in a cool temp. I pump the water inside after well mixed to a brute and let it sit over night for temp to adjust before I do the water change. I the winter I just put a heater in the mix tank. I do check salinity after temp adjusts inside.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to my knowledge. I have never heard of temp effecting the efficiency or lifespan of a membrane or filter.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As water temp raises production raises but rejection declines.

From the FilmTec manual

1628361190189.png

Last edited:

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a rejection meter installed on your RO/DI system? It will tell you what you need to know.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in TX and RO is in the garage. I mix out there even though they say its better to mix in a cool temp. I pump the water inside after well mixed to a brute and let it sit over night for temp to adjust before I do the water change. I the winter I just put a heater in the mix tank. I do check salinity after temp adjusts inside.
I have my storage tanks for mixing, fresh saltwater and DI water in the garage in Texas also. I also have the dosing tank out there. My ATO, AWC and dosing pump are all in the garage. I do not cool or heat the tanks at all. It has not had an affect on the tank temp using ATO water and water change water directly from the garage. The water change is done 3 times a day and around 900 ml are changed out at a time on a 42 gallon tank. If I were changing out gallons at a time I would take the water inside and let it acclimate to tank temp before using it. As little as gets changed or added at any one time it has no measurable affect on the tank temp.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back