Is there a thing as too much pods?

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seemingly overnight, I've had a population boom of pods. I haven't seeded the tank with pods, so I'm assuming they hitchiked on frag plugs, or maybe the eggs on the plugs survived the dips.

Anyhoo, these things are all over the glass and floating around in the water column. I haven't had to clean my glass since they appeared, vs. having to clean the glass every couple of days. My sand is a tad bit cleaner. My filter floss is much less gross, vs. having to be replaced every few days.

So, I know that having pods are great and is a sign that the tank is maturing/is matured. Question is, since there's so many of them, will they impact the tank in any negative manner? Do I need to does phyto, or just let them chow down on the algae and detritus?

My clown is a bit spooked with these things everywhere, but if I had a dragonette it would love it. Maybe time to get one?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PODs come and go . I bet your clown will decide they make a good snack.
You can feed them phyto if your tank gets too clean and the population drops

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if there were so many pods, they got organized and revolted and started eating the fish in massive group attacks?
Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have a ton of amphipods, they can bother your corals somewhat. Copepods are fine, though. They'll die off on their own if they've overpopulated.

Don't get a mandarin unless your tank is over 30 gallons and heavily mature, and you've got a captive-bred mandy that'll take prepared foods to some extent if needed.

If you really want something to eat them, a possum wrasse should pick 'em off pretty easily, and is a peaceful fish that won't conflict with anything else.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back