Is there a way to switch tanks without cycling?

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need some help. Anyone who has read my posts knows I been having problems all summer with corals dying. So I'm basically trying to start over without a major cycle and minimal amount of issues I hope. I've lost alot of coral this year I need some good luck for once. So I have a Marineland petsmart 65 gallon tank I baught 5 years ago its been running smoothly for the most part until recently. I found I have alot of pests and I was mixing salt incorrectly. So that's why my corals were dying. I just purchased a new red sea reefer 300xl this week. I'm going to try and switch tanks and keep my lps coral I have and hopefully it doesn't die. I gave my ausie gold torch to my lfs and a few high dollar acros to hold for me until my new tank stableizes. I still have acans blastos and bowerbanki that I could not take because there's no more room over there . I purchased eshopps bio-lux blocks a month ago to start getting bacteria. My question is will this be enough to not throw this new tank into a cycle? I'm using brand new dry rock and new live sand new skimmer new lights new everything. Will I be ok to transfer my lps without them dying or should I leave my old tank running with my corals in it until my new tank stableizes?

OP
OP
ELChingonsReef

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also already glued together a new negative space aquascape with that dry rock. I watched alot of brs videos on the topic..lol. so I can't really put that in a brute trash can and cycle it like that. The tank I have now when I started it I really messed up the aquascape. I made a huge rock wall and had no flow around it. Been battling high nitrates because of that all these years I'm not doing that again.

Upvote 0

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is there a way to switch tanks without cycling?​

Yes move your established rock over to the new tank.
If you don’t have some established rock buy some. You can even buy from someone you know, off the internet, Craigslist, or other sources. Having established rock or bio media may solve all your issues. Try to get live rock that’s been in a system for a year or better yet several years.

Upvote 0

TimD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is there a way to switch tanks without cycling?​

Yes move your established rock over to the new tank.
If you don’t have some established rock buy some. You can even buy from someone you know, off the internet, Craigslist, or other sources. Having established rock or bio media may solve all your issues. Try to get live rock that’s been in a system for a year or better yet several years.
And make sure you rinse the substrate 1000% and clean off all the old detritus

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ELChingonsReef

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to be able to transfer my old live rock full of pests I can't do that.. ill just be transferring my current problems to my new tank.. I already have a new aquascape built with dry rock and some Caribsea rock. I was hoping the bio blocks would help the new tank not cycle. Or at least not cycle too long. I have corals I have no where to put so they have to be transferred immediately to the new tank. Hopefully they don't die. Worst case I'll set up a small 20 gallon with old live rock temporarily until new tank cycles. I'll have to dip everything very good before it goes into my new display tank. That's all I can think of unless somebody has some other suggestions

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ELChingonsReef

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20210819_201313.jpg
    20210819_201313.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 22
Upvote 0

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to be able to transfer my old live rock full of pests I can't do that.. ill just be transferring my current problems to my new tank.. I already have a new aquascape built with dry rock and some Caribsea rock. I was hoping the bio blocks would help the new tank not cycle. Or at least not cycle too long. I have corals I have no where to put so they have to be transferred immediately to the new tank. Hopefully they don't die. Worst case I'll set up a small 20 gallon with old live rock temporarily until new tank cycles. I'll have to dip everything very good before it goes into my new display tank. That's all I can think of unless somebody has some other suggestions
Bio blocks and new dry rock will need to cycle. Adding them to an established tank will get them established but will be established simply by themselves.

What pest?
Will a new cycle kill your coral?
Do the “pest” kill your corals?
Don’t throw out the baby with the bath water.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ELChingonsReef

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio blocks and new dry rock will need to cycle. Adding them to an established tank will get them established but will be established simply by themselves.

What pest?
Will a new cycle kill your coral?
Do the “pest” kill your corals?
Don’t throw out the baby with the bath water.
So I put bio blocks in my sump a month ago. But the live rock has these weird sopnges growing on it and these small pollups growing on them that kinda look like aptasia. But there not aptasia. I have no idea what they are I took a picture and showed my lfs. He said they are harmless but I don't like them. I also had a problem with some anthiopods that were nipping at my acans. So I baught a 6line wrasse. That helped some what. But to answer your question no not really the pests are not killing my corals. This tank I have now was my first tank. I didn't dip any of my corals when I first started. I made a very ugly aquascape. The flow in the tank was restricted because of the aquascape. So this time I'm doing everything differently. Because I know better now. I'm using dry rock so I can create a better aquascape for more flow so I'm not battling high nitrates like I am now. I purchased a real reef tank instead of the 300 dollar petsmart fish tank I have now. So I don't have to cut holes in the stand to accommodate a skimmer and sump plumbing. Im doing everything differently this time. I was just hoping for a way to get around a large cycle With the bio blocks

Upvote 0

Bubba002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need some help. Anyone who has read my posts knows I been having problems all summer with corals dying. So I'm basically trying to start over without a major cycle and minimal amount of issues I hope. I've lost alot of coral this year I need some good luck for once. So I have a Marineland petsmart 65 gallon tank I baught 5 years ago its been running smoothly for the most part until recently. I found I have alot of pests and I was mixing salt incorrectly. So that's why my corals were dying. I just purchased a new red sea reefer 300xl this week. I'm going to try and switch tanks and keep my lps coral I have and hopefully it doesn't die. I gave my ausie gold torch to my lfs and a few high dollar acros to hold for me until my new tank stableizes. I still have acans blastos and bowerbanki that I could not take because there's no more room over there . I purchased eshopps bio-lux blocks a month ago to start getting bacteria. My question is will this be enough to not throw this new tank into a cycle? I'm using brand new dry rock and new live sand new skimmer new lights new everything. Will I be ok to transfer my lps without them dying or should I leave my old tank running with my corals in it until my new tank stableizes?

Upvote 0

Bubba002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Threw all old sand away in the woods, soaked live rock that was covered with dead coral and alive GHA IN 5O/5O Clorox and RODI water. Tomorrow will rinse for second time and add baking soda let sit for 2 days And rinse again and keep in salt water till tank is ready. Cleaned the tank with vinegar and mistaken cleaning vinegar…..no Clorox involved in tank. have rinsed it out 3 times and last time added new sand STILL GOT THE BUBBLES

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back