Is there any logic to how much money you will spend on a reef related Item?

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought an expensive something for my tank. We'll get to that in a bit. But it made me question my spending on items in the hobby.

Now I will note that I am different than alot of people, in that financially I'm comfortable and my tank doesn't have a budget - if it needs it, it needs it, and it gets it. it's a 750g display tank part of a 1500g system.

I'm even more jaded in the fact that I have been a part of the hobby on the industry side since the mid 80's and retail isn't part of my vocabulary.

The point I'm trying to get to is - I wouldn't spend 4 figures on a torch coral head. I wouldn't spend 4 figures on a torch coral colony (even a killer one). But I will spend 4 figures on a piece of equipment without hesitation - I know this is not an apples to apples comparison.

My wife and I have been building up our new 750g for the last year, which has meant attending about 6-8 shows. And we have spent a small fortune to fill the tank. For a blasto I can spend $100's of dollars. For an acro frag I wouldn't think of it.

I love yellow tangs, I would like 9-12 in my tank. But it's hard for my mind, which used to buy them wholesale for $3.50 a fish in the 80's to consider spending $300-$500 for a yellow tang. Although I will say if someone had some available right now at the right size a couple of hundred a fish wouldn't bother me.

Lobos's are a weak spot for me, have an unusual looking carpet lobo, and my wallet literally falls open into a frag tank.

I have no problem spending money on an expensive or rare angel, but I wouldn't spend the same amount of money on a tang or even a coral.

And most recently I bought something, and on reflection said to myself - what the heck were you thinking Dave!

I like lots of little colorful fish in my tank. (Hence the screen name, Hence a fish population of 150 in the 750 and still growing).

Lots of little colorful fish don't have to break the bank. Sure maybe there are some wild assessors mixed in that raise the average price of the 'little' fish, but for the most part they are all pretty cheap in comparison.

I have always loved Damsels. I know they get sharted on constantly in the hobby. But I think that's just Damsel Bigotry. If you don't know which Damsels to pick you'll end with a devil fish - Blue Devil Damsel not excluded :) - One of my favorite tanks when I was a kid going to the fish store was the 40-70g tank with hundreds of colorful damsels darting around and a big sign on the tank that said $4.99 each.

I always have damsels in all my tanks - Blues (with soild blue tails), Blues with Orange Tails, Springeri, stegassi, Talbot, Rolands - I have about 30 of these in my tank right now. They are well behaved and allow my wife and I to feed a much as we want without being worried about food sitting on the bottom of the tank. Years ago I ran across a gorgeous damsel - The Starcki / Starki. If you aren't familiar with this fish tank a quick search. This is a gorgeous fish, not just a gorgeous damsel, but this can easily be one of the prettiest fish for most aquariums out there - Okay it's no Navarchus angel, but it's a stunner. It's well behaved, does well in groups, and is bright and pretty.

Starkii's have started to get pretty pricey. I mean its a $100+ for a damsel fish. But I have no issue with getting, one, or maybe 5 (which I have). But I wouldn't spend that same amount of money for a Helfrichi Firefish or a Bella Goby.

Then this week I took it to the next level. I literally leapt at the chance to get a pair of Corazon Damsels. (not paired boy and girl - just 2 fish). I recently bought an adult Achilles tang for less than I paid for one Corazon Damsel. When you look up the prices online - if it seems like a reasonable price someone has a Corazon listed for - see if you could actually buy that fish from that vendor - you can't.

After 2 days both fish are eating pellet food and settling in nicely. They are white fish with a couple of midnight/blue black spots and a lil electric blue edge on their dorsal. Are they stunning - Are they brightly colored - Are they going to catch someone's eye walking past the tank - Will they get noticed by reefers as part of our fish population more than our mollies in the tank..... NO, NO, NO.

2023-08-23 21.43.01.jpg

Do I regret this purchase. Nope. But I wonder how I spent the money so easily for a damsel fish, when I wouldn't spend near that amount of money for much prettier fish.

And I wondered where others set their limits, or let their limits be set, or value how they make purchases for their aquarium.

Do you say $X is my max for a 'fish', and $Y is my max for a 'Coral', and $Z is the max I will ever tell my wife what I spent on anything related to the tank?

2023-08-19 12.17.31.jpg

Dave B

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually try to keep a budget with everything I buy, haha. Usually I can wait on stuff for it to go on sale or wait for the best price possible, but if it is something that I need? Then I will end up getting it asap.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at any livestock purchase like I would gambling, if I gambled. I don't spend more than I'm willing to lose, so I don't buy any really expensive fish or coral for myself. If I have something fancy, it's probably because someone else bought it for me as a gift. I'd rather have a tank full of healthy but common fish and corals than just one or two pieces that I'm terrified to look at wrong.

With equipment, I'm a little more lenient because I'm less likely to completely lose that cost. Most equipment can be resold if it's good quality or if it's good quality, I'll use it long enough to justify the cost. I often pick up stuff off FB Marketplace for a discount unless it's a pressing need.

The one thing I will probably splurge on at some point is a black widow BTA because I really want one and all BTA's seem to be pricey, at least any that look pretty. Beyond that, I'll stick with the bargain bin zoas and softies, thanks!

I love my tank, but I also am preparing to put a kid through college and I have other debt to pay off, so I can't just throw money at it. I don't judge those who can, though! Life is short, enjoy what you enjoy!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, one of the best things about this hobby is when people buy things that they love. I would not spend $5 on a Corazon damsel, but I LOVE that you love them. The same goes with torches and hammers, just like many do not understand why I love acropora. This is the best thing to do with money since paying insurance, bill and stuff sucks.

I also always have YT Blue or OT Blue damsel pair in all of my tanks - I love how the interact especially when they have eggs... plus a long lived, non-fussy fish that are beautiful.

For equipment, I try and break it out by a year of useful life - so a Tunze pump at $330 for 10 years is cheap, for me. $1000 for a 3-5 year LED panel seems expensive, especially when I need like 20 of them.

For livestock, it just depends on how much I want something, if it is seasonal, etc. I love Chrysurus Angelfish, but they are mostly available once a year - I will wait and buy them when they are in season and spend half as much. I expect Hawaii to be open again, so I am waiting to buy yellow tangs and flame angelfish... but my patience is running thin.

For corals, I prefer to trade. I have not spent more than $100 on a coral very often unless it is just rare and unique.

I try and stay away from expensive fish since I don't have a top on my tank. Watanabei or Chrysurus angelfish is my max price - that max varies from year to year, but that is it. I also avoid some wrasses since I know that they are jumpers. If I want a handful of expensive fish, I usually will get a few locals and look for a transship order since getting fish in Denver has been no issue yet.

I tell my wife the truth. She would care more if I lied to her than about the money that I spent. She also has taken boxes upon boxes to FedEx and UPS for me of stuff that I have sold.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the yellow tang part though because they are captive bred and can be hand for 165. 65 more than your threshold but still manageable based on some of your other fish purchases. Unless it is a hard line / stop.

As far as the rest budgets are nice unless one has the residual income. As @jda noted it is nice when people are able to buy things they really love. I just picked up a Milletseed Butterflyfish which is one of the two fish that got me into this hobby. The other will be a Rock Beauty once I determine my display is properly established.

One thing I've noticed over the years via your post history is that you treat the animals as pets and not a commodity. Logic enough for me. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back