Is there anywhere to send algae for ID?

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall. I have been battling a very pesky algae. I have tried fluconazole, water changes, nutrient export, scrubbing rocks, light levels and schedule adjustments, and I cant seem to beat this algae. I have posted here many times to no avail. I got alot of try this or do that but not one person has been able to ID the algae I have. I would like to know if there are any labs I can send a sample to in order to get an ID and then look up information on said algae to find a direct solution. Part of the issue is I'm just guessing at what will remove it and haven't found a solution yet. As always thank ya

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall. I have been battling a very pesky algae. I have tried fluconazole, water changes, nutrient export, scrubbing rocks, light levels and schedule adjustments, and I cant seem to beat this algae. I have posted here many times to no avail. I got alot of try this or do that but not one person has been able to ID the algae I have. I would like to know if there are any labs I can send a sample to in order to get an ID and then look up information on said algae to find a direct solution. Part of the issue is I'm just guessing at what will remove it and haven't found a solution yet. As always thank ya
Have you posted a microscope view of your algae with no id?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even a picture of the tank with the algae may help.
There is a thread here on R2R that has microscope pick of some stuff for you to compare it to.
Of course one has to have a microscope.....

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done a microscope but I cant even get close with pictures. It's very unique in the fact that it is purple. I will post some pics but again if anyone knows where I could send a sample to as well it would be appreciated. I'm not trying to be difficult it's just that I have tried this a few times. A microscope may help but it is pretty unique looking.

20191228_203451.jpg 20191228_193039.jpg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well your not kidding.
Looks like more of a sponge to me.
Looks like the Aiptasia is getting along with it.

I have no clue what it is nor do I know of a lab.

Is it killing stuff off or just don't care for the look of it?

I think I would do the following, but this is probably old news to you and is falling into the been there tried that category but...
Take a small piece of infected rock out and dip in a 50/50 mix of tank water and 3% Hydrogen Peroxide for 5 to 7 minuets.
Algae will die off but a sponge should live through it.

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well your not kidding.
Looks like more of a sponge to me.
Looks like the Aiptasia is getting along with it.

I have no clue what it is nor do I know of a lab.

Is it killing stuff off or just don't care for the look of it?

I think I would do the following, but this is probably old news to you and is falling into the been there tried that category but...
Take a small piece of infected rock out and dip in a 50/50 mix of tank water and 3% Hydrogen Peroxide for 5 to 7 minuets.
Algae will die off but a sponge should live through it.
Lol pretty crazy, right? That's not aptasia, that is a favia. The only thing I've noticed is that it affects my zoas. It just smothers them and then they die. I haven't tried peroxide yet but I guess it's worth a shot. The problem is that its throughout my whole tank. It's not even that ugly but I dont want it there. Idk where it came from but its found a home lol.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wish I could help, but alas I am not.

There are several people and threads here on R2R that swear by hydrogen peroxide dosing in the DT.
Do some searches and you come across the threads.

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wish I could help, but alas I am not.

There are several people and threads here on R2R that swear by hydrogen peroxide dosing in the DT.
Do some searches and you come across the threads.
Thank you. I do appreciate your feedback. The only reason I haven't tried peroxide is because I'm nervous. I have read articles about it, I'm just weird about adding stuff to the display. A friend of mine suggested fluconazole for my GHA and she dang near had to beat me up to try it lol. However the turnout was amazing. Thanks again

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back