Is there such a thing as too many copepods?

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gazillion or so amphipods, and they don't bother zoanthids or anything else. They're also excellent food for many fish.
I agree though, mandarins cannot eat any but the tiniest of them.

Miranda.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are big enough to get them and they do, I see them eat in the rock all day but at night when they sleep, or do whatever fish do at night, the pods get out of the rocks and you can see how big of a colony it is. Makes me think that my wrasses can get enough of them to effectivly affect the population number.

Might get a dragonet, I've heard that they feed at night.
I have amphipods and copepods destroying my live rock. Like it's breaking to pieces now. And my zoas don't look great either and they keep detaching mushrooms, any coral I have already to rock attached they literally eat thru. Im started a fresh water dip but it's just such a long process. My tank was great before these guys came in...

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong, I know the benifits of having lots of pods in your tank but for the past couple of weeks I have been seeing 1000s of pods in my tank. I am not talking about the small pods that appear frequently in new tanks and can be seen usually on the glass at night, I am talking big monstruous copepods (10mm-15mm). They're so big that I'm pretty sure a mandarin wouldn't be able to eat them until it's grown to its mature size. My question would be, when do you know that it's too much?

I hace been feeding heavily lately to keep my nitrates/PO4 at seeyable levels so that mighr be the reason for the pod boom in my tank. What do you guys think?
Picturessssss :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back