Is this a bad idea?: Reef in Fluval Spec V

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I have an old Fluval spec v just sitting around and I was thinking about turning it into a new reef tank. I know I’d need to upgrade the lighting and flow (if anyone has recommendations for that I’d appreciate them) but I was also wondering if this is some thing that you guys think could even be successful? I’d probably just keep some soft corals and MAYBE one LPS. I’d do frequent water changes too. I don’t think I’d keep fish bc the tank is too small but maybe some shrimp? This idea is still very early in development and any feedback would be much appreciated :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the difficult part would be the salinity. You could always try it but I wouldn't do anything that isn't an easy soft coral.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been mulling the idea of doing a pico tank ran off of an ato and a large & continual daily automatic water change percentage. I think you’ll find some unique challenges to it versus running a bigger tank, but it’s absolutely doable.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been mulling the idea of doing a pico tank ran off of an ato and a large & continual daily automatic water change percentage. I think you’ll find some unique challenges to it versus running a bigger tank, but it’s absolutely doable.

That would make sense to just do continuous water changes in a tank that size since it would correct the salinity and replace elements rapidly drained.

OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! Thanks for all the feedback! I’ve decided to go ahead and do it! Does anyone have lighting suggestions? I’m having difficulty finding a light that is small and not overpowering for such a small tank. I don’t need anything fancy. Also, recommendations for a wave maker/circulator would be helpful because the smallest ones I’m finding are ~250 gph (which I think will be too much?).

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! Thanks for all the feedback! I’ve decided to go ahead and do it! Does anyone have lighting suggestions? I’m having difficulty finding a light that is small and not overpowering for such a small tank. I don’t need anything fancy. Also, recommendations for a wave maker/circulator would be helpful because the smallest ones I’m finding are ~250 gph (which I think will be too much?).

Try a hipagero light or asta 20. As for wavemaker, I am not sure.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back