Is this a brittle star??

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had to remove a sponge that was upsetting my GSP recently, and since then it hasn’t opened. It’s only been a few days so I’m not worried.

However, because I now have a better view of the mat and the rock it’s under I noticed this little tentacle/leg hanging out. It’s EXTREMELY tiny. But I got a pictuee of it.

I’m thinking it’s a brittle star, can anyone confirm?
BBC00579-3E95-499B-AED8-6126DE17EF8A.jpeg

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s actually a type of peanut worm.
I have a few.
Interesting, it can’t be the only one then because I saw a small one poke out of a hole just to the right earlier in the day but couldn’t grab a picture. Hence why I assumed starfish, thinking multiple legs.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, it can’t be the only one then because I saw a small one poke out of a hole just to the right earlier in the day but couldn’t grab a picture. Hence why I assumed starfish, thinking multiple legs.
Brittles are typically more hairy. This is one in my tank, you can see it between the cloves:
image.jpg

Each one has a mouth at the end and moves/acts differently from the brittle star I have.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brittles are typically more hairy. This is one in my tank, you can see it between the cloves:
image.jpg

Each one has a mouth at the end and moves/acts differently from the brittle star I have.
I see! Certainly more boring than a starfish but we’ll take whatever good guys we can get

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more diverse inverts the better!
I'm no longer convinced. I've been sat watching this thing for about 20 minutes. I've witnessed it pull it's leg in, and come out of another hole at speeds much faster than I can imagine a worm moving - and on top of that I've seen multiple of these things poke out of different holes at the same time and retract and switch holes.

Trying to get a video.

This thing is unbelievably tiny, so maybe if it is a star the hairs arent visible.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no longer convinced. I've been sat watching this thing for about 20 minutes. I've witnessed it pull it's leg in, and come out of another hole at speeds much faster than I can imagine a worm moving - and on top of that I've seen multiple of these things poke out of different holes at the same time and retract and switch holes.

Trying to get a video.

This thing is unbelievably tiny, so maybe if it is a star the hairs arent visible.
brittles usually won't stick out until night.

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it's a brittle star. And I disagree on them only sticking out at night. If I add food to the tanks their little banded arms start rolling out. I saw one catch something this morning. Very cool little critters

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a brittle star. And I disagree on them only sticking out at night. If I add food to the tanks their little banded arms start rolling out. I saw one catch something this morning. Very cool little critters
the whole body may only come out at night, but arms sense and glean food whenever its there - and can be every color/pattern/texture you can describe. - looks like a brittle star to me

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back