Is this a duncan?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fishyjoes
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

fishyjoes

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 10, 2022
Messages
488
Reaction score
516
Location
US
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral that was sold as a duncan, but it looks like one of the heads has recently split and I've read duncan don't split heads like that - so I'm wondering if maybe it's something else.

In the picture, the head on the right side is a slightly pinched oval with two mouths near each other. The stalk is fleshy covered skeleton if that helps.

Any idea what this is?

20230215_115904.jpg
 
Yes that’s a Duncan, they can have slightly different growth patterns as well as colour morphs, some are very tree like, others form a globe and sprout heads from beneath and around existing heads. Ive had one in the past that grown in a branching plate with every head the same height. They can also split as yours has done, sometimes just naturally and sometimes when damage has happened.
 
Thanks for the info. I just never came across any description of them splitting so I was confused
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new