Is this a favia

  • Thread starter Thread starter 125mph
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

125mph

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 16, 2016
Messages
871
Reaction score
305
Location
San Diego
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have this frag in my tank. My regal angel nip at a lot of things but leaves this alone.

What coral is this?

IMG_7696.jpeg
 
Favia, being west-Atlantic endemics, don't exist in the hobby, so it wouldn't be Favia. "Dragon-Soul"/"Prism Favia" are actually either Dipsastraea rosaria or Favites cf paraflexuosus.
 
I am leaning to Leptastrea, as i think favias have more flesh around the eyes.
 
Would need a clearer photo showing corallite photo to tell, but looks like either Leptastrea or Favites cf pentagona to me.
Thanks. Tried to get a better photo but my blues are too blue and my camera can’t focus. I’m pretty sure it isn’t a favites because its polyps are tiny and have uniform size. I have a yellow Leptastrea and this does look similar but its polyps are about half the size of the yellow lepta.
 
Thanks. Tried to get a better photo but my blues are too blue and my camera can’t focus. I’m pretty sure it isn’t a favites because its polyps are tiny and have uniform size. I have a yellow Leptastrea and this does look similar but its polyps are about half the size of the yellow lepta.
View attachment 3697949
 
Thanks. Tried to get a better photo but my blues are too blue and my camera can’t focus. I’m pretty sure it isn’t a favites because its polyps are tiny and have uniform size. I have a yellow Leptastrea and this does look similar but its polyps are about half the size of the yellow lepta.
If there is a clear separation between oral disc and coenosarc, it's Favites; if the whole corallite is the oral disc, then it's Leptastrea. I'm leaning more towards  Lepastrea, since I can see the tentacles, and the tentacles seem to contain zooxanthellae.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new