Is this a favia?

What is this whole thing about? What is the problem with trying to identify what type of coral you have!
The title of the thread has been modified, favia? had a typo that the mods edited so the joke is over, it was kind of nasty and not appropriate.....
 
Merulinidae sp., not Favia. Favia, being endemic to the West-Atlantic, aren't found in the hobby. I would guess this is either Favites cf pentagona, Paragoniastrea russelli, or subcerioid Playgyra, but it is too deformed by captivity to tell.
 
It also almost looks like Blastomusa merletti, but also like a chalice, or echinophyllia??? I have no suggestions on photo techniques.
Blastomussa (in the hobby at least) are phaceloid, so it wouldn't be that. Not a chalice/Echinophyllia, the coral is visibly cerioid.
 
Merulinidae sp., not Favia. Favia, being endemic to the West-Atlantic, aren't found in the hobby. I would guess this is either Favites cf pentagona, Paragoniastrea russelli, or subcerioid Playgyra, but it is too deformed by captivity to tell.
Any tips on what it's care would consist of?
 
Lol thanks, today in general has been a sort of off day, physically, emotionally and spiritually. I'm just here taking my mind off things trying to learn a thing or 10
Well hopefully we got a smile out of you. Bad days are the ones that make good days special...
 
I was at my LFS and wanted something different. I asked what it was called so he looked on his order list and all it says is *favia!*

FB ppl said not sure and some said yeah and others said micromusa?

Can anyone tell me for certainty what it is? I don't see any sweeper tentacles at night and honestly don't even know if it's happy where its sitting. It's in around 90 par where it's sitting. I spot fed reefroids yesterday to the entire tank and it didn't react like my other lps's. Any info about this piece would be great!

Screenshot_20240826_175943_Gallery.jpg 20240823_222631.jpg
Favite coral
 
Well hopefully we got a smile out of you. Bad days are the ones that make good days special...
Yeah, I was so busy laughing I couldn't see what i was supposed to be looking at.
Blastomussa (in the hobby at least) are phaceloid, so it wouldn't be that. Not a chalice/Echinophyllia, the coral is visibly cerioid.
Got spanked lightly by a fellow reefer, but it all ok, I am glad we got to someone who could see this thing clearly and provide a proper identification.

Cracking Up Lol GIF
 
Last edited:
Favite coral
Ahh thank you, a quick google search brought this coral up straight away. And to be honest I don't even think I've seen or heard of Favite before so now I'm on a good path thanks to you all. Glad I was able to make others have a great chuckle out of this as well ;)
 
Any tips on what it's care would consist of?
Merulinid moon/honeycomb corals are found in a wide variety of environments--from deeper reef walls to intertidal habitats--so they can be kept under various conditions. The main important thing is stability; if you are going to change your lighting intensity, flow, or parameters, do so slowly to acclimate the coral.
 
Title fixed and thread cleaned up! Some of your minds are dirtier than a “no water change” tank’s skimmer cup!
Hey! I resemble that remark! Except I'm not running a skimmer on my no water change tank...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new