Is this a fish bite?

Psychonaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20gal QT tank with 2 1” clowns, a 1” Royal Gramma, and a 2-3” Midas blenny. When I introduced them to the tank the RG and the Midas blenny started biting each other’s faces. Then the went to opposite sides of the tank for the next week or so. Last night I saw the Blenny behind the thermometer where the RG likes to hang out

This morning I saw what looked like a bruise on the neck of the MB. Now Like 10 hours later it has shades of white and brown. Blenny doesn’t come out much but I got the best pics I can.

Does this look like a fish bite? Y’all think he’s getting beat up? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you!
C9E9E585-FD61-45DA-B3BA-F16FC49E4A4C.jpeg
526D10B2-30BD-4C66-8C98-C9E7F18E97A8.jpeg

OP
OP
Psychonaut

Psychonaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I do? I have 4 various sized pvc bits in there. Would it help if I threw in a Little Rock? I’ll be dosing copper starting in a few days, would it screw with my levels if I threw a couple baseball sized rocks in there?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could very well mess with your copper levels to have any of the types of rock that we generally use in your QT. I'd consider adding more PVC fittings in appropriate sizes, including elbows and multi-opening pieces, or possibly some fake corals / plants. (Even with those, some can absorb copper - keep testing, and watch those therapeutic levels.)

You may want to keep a selection of antibiotics on hand, in case infection takes hold.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Psychonaut

Psychonaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, both good suggestions. If I see one more aggressive episode I’ll go buy a divider. Bruce, what signs should I look for in case of infection? Right now it went from looking like a bruise, to having a white sort of blister on top. Looks like an aqua-scab haha.

Yall think I should wait to start the copper treatment until it looks better?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back