Is this a good cost for first reef tank?

reef guy 56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up my first reef tank and this is what it will cost currently $1,984.11 for a 120 gallon tank. Is that good?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the tank. IS it already drilled for a sump set up. 120 gallon tanks, new can be anywhere from $750. to about $1400.
Once you are up and running, you will find you have spent a very large sum of money. This hobby is not cheap. You will always find something more that you need, too. And lighting for a tank that size will be a pretty penny as well.

Upvote 0

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Often the tank is the cheapest part of the whole setup. After you factor in lighting, skimmer, livestock etc.

Unless you’re willing to about double that after getting other equipment and livestock, you may look for used setups. Depending on your area, people are often almost giving away full setups. More work than buying new, but also can save a lot of money, especially if you don’t already have all the little things that add up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

reef guy 56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought acrylic tanks were cheaper. Does Aqeon make 125 gallon tank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t beat this deal on a new tank

It’s 83 gallons
48x20x20

A 120 can be 48x24x24

So this is only 4” less tall and deep

Link to the website to buy is in post 19

A bunch of us have bought this so far, it’s really built top of the line, and it’s about 50% less than similar setups from other brands. I believe current USA has approx 18 of these combos left

Upvote 0

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
for my first tank, I found a used running 60g setup that came with a kessil 360x, mp40, rodi maker, and skimmer all for $525. That came with rock, some corals, heater, etc. it was a deal, but also was a pain in the butt breaking it down and keeping it running.

Not saying these deals happen all the time, but the point is, you can get a lot of equipment for a cheap if you’re willing to buy the whole setup.

Upvote 0

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been slowly acquiring equipment in advance for 2 tanks. I got lights, pumps, power heads, skimmer, sand, salt, pretty much everything I need but rock and livestock for about $1600. If you are patient while acquiring equipment you can save a bit of money.

Keep in mind, if retailers are doing 20%+ off sales multiple times a year that means the product is marked up like crazy.

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 48 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back