Is this a good fish stocking list for a 40g?

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if I am wasting peoples time with this thread but I just want to make sure this stocking list for a 40g?

-Maroon Clownfish
-Scarlet Hawkfish
-Spotted Mandarin
-Bicolour Blenny
-YWG Goby (With a Shrimp)
-Snowflake Eel

I will also just have 2 BTAs and some Euphyllia corals, I will have lots of inverts but I won't have shrimp or crabs.

Thanks if you guys reply :)

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! IMO, this tank is wayyyy too small for a full grown snowflake and it will become aggressive over time due to the lack of elbow room. The maroon may be an issue as well because it is one of (if not the most) aggressive clown who will start to harass tankmakes with maturity. Replace the maroon with maybe a Clarkii, percula, or ocellaris and remove the eel you should be good to go :)

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CuC wouldn't bother me to much since I would have a hawkfish. I only planned on things like snails, anemones corals, stars, etc.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be able to add a Cleaner Wrasse maybe to clean the fish?
Cleaner wrasse isn’t a good idea, a cleaner shrimp like peppermint or skunk would be better :). Cleaner wrasses die often in aquaria because we don’t have the giant fish with a bunch of parasites for them to eat, but the shrimp are much better. I think a flame hawk may be an issue, but you can resolve that with a fire clown (also called black and red anemonefish) that looks very similar and get a longnose or geometric hawk instead, those two are large shrimp safe :)

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner wrasse isn’t a good idea, a cleaner shrimp like peppermint or skunk would be better :). Cleaner wrasses die often in aquaria because we don’t have the giant fish with a bunch of parasites for them to eat, but the shrimp are much better. I think a flame hawk may be an issue, but you can resolve that with a fire clown (also called black and red anemonefish) that looks very similar and get a longnose or geometric hawk instead, those two are large shrimp safe :)
Thank you.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link to LiveAquaria here’s a pic of the clown Im suggesting, looks a lot like the flame hawk you were wanting
6090075C-1DEB-4B01-9146-DBA411CE3C40.jpeg

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to write a list so I don't forget

-Pair of Clarkii Clowns (I like these as well.)
-Yellow Clown Goby
-Spotted Mandarin
-Bicolour Blenny
-I also wanted to add maybe 4 Yellow Tail Damsels because they look similar to the blue tangs and they are sort of peaceful for damsels

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to write a list so I don't forget

-Pair of Clarkii Clowns (I like these as well.)
-Yellow Clown Goby
-Spotted Mandarin
-Bicolour Blenny
-I also wanted to add maybe 4 Yellow Tail Damsels because they look similar to the blue tangs and they are sort of peaceful for damsels
Looking good! Wait about a year for the mandarin and dose pods several times before hand. A refugium really helps with pods for the mandarin and captive bred is really good because then you can supplement with prepared foods :)

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Wait about a year for the mandarin and dose pods several times before hand. A refugium really helps with pods for the mandarin and captive bred is really good because then you can supplement with prepared foods :)
Yeah, like I said though, in Australia we don't get captive bred specimens of Mandarins. But I will have a refugium and dose heaps of pods. I might dose the Brightwell's zooplanktonm

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back