is this a good idea? (LED light question)

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, so i was thinking, the lights I pictured below, would it be a good idea to get 2-4 of these lights for a 40 gallon tank (36 x 12 x 21) (L W H)? I am not fully decided if I want to keep corals like acros and some of the harder SPS. LPS for sure, and some of the easier SPS and montis and bird nests as well and a lot of softies.

The light:

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @blaxsun

It looks like those are 30 watts.

As a reference, on my 30 Long, to get my lights to up to 500PAR for some of those fancier Acros, I used 3 AI Primes (55 watts) and 2 reefbrite 50/50 strips. For my tank dimension, its actually very difficult to get some areas that high while also keeping other areas low (under 100) for the softies and many LPS, so I ended up with a half and half. The "high par" half had needed 2 of the 3 Prime pucks on one side to get there 300 - 500 range.

1 hydra is similar in output as 2 primes, so I think you'd either need hydra and purposely have that "spotlight" so high par will be the middle top right under the light, and put your softie and lps on the edge of the tank. But i think even 1 hydra alone will not get you to 400PAR for the fancier acros. 200 - 300 is where i think it can realistically achieve and that is enough for the beginner "green" acros.

Or, use 2 hydras for better spread and more power, but doing that i think you will struggle to find enough low par areas for the softies and will need to get creative with your rock work to add shades.

Id highly recommend rent a par meter or buy a seneye, esp when you get into SPS. It will be worth the investment in the long run bc yiu will not lose any frag due to putting it in the wrong spot/wrong PAR.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are a copy of Kessil at less than half of required UV needed for coral color and growth.
Bluntly- Spend the money on the best you cannot afford, which will produce the zooxanthellae coral need for health-growth-color

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are a copy of Kessil at less than half of required UV needed for coral color and growth.
Bluntly- Spend the money on the best you cannot afford, which will produce the zooxanthellae coral need for health-growth-color
would a viparspectra 165 watt light work for the corals i am thinking about?

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @blaxsun

It looks like those are 30 watts.

As a reference, on my 30 Long, to get my lights to up to 500PAR for some of those fancier Acros, I used 3 AI Primes (55 watts) and 2 reefbrite 50/50 strips. For my tank dimension, its actually very difficult to get some areas that high while also keeping other areas low (under 100) for the softies and many LPS, so I ended up with a half and half. The "high par" half had needed 2 of the 3 Prime pucks on one side to get there 300 - 500 range.

1 hydra is similar in output as 2 primes, so I think you'd either need hydra and purposely have that "spotlight" so high par will be the middle top right under the light, and put your softie and lps on the edge of the tank. But i think even 1 hydra alone will not get you to 400PAR for the fancier acros. 200 - 300 is where i think it can realistically achieve and that is enough for the beginner "green" acros.

Or, use 2 hydras for better spread and more power, but doing that i think you will struggle to find enough low par areas for the softies and will need to get creative with your rock work to add shades.

Id highly recommend rent a par meter or buy a seneye, esp when you get into SPS. It will be worth the investment in the long run bc yiu will not lose any frag due to putting it in the wrong spot/wrong PAR.
would a viparspectra 165 watt light work for the corals i am thinking about?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm not familiar with that light. I'm sure if you search the forums you can get an idea of how much light they put out

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light will work just fine:) no need to buy the super expensive lights

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is two Visparspectra 165watt on a 48” 65g.
But run them low, blue 20%-30% and white 1%, they push a ton of par.
Mount them higher to get a full blended spread.
If you like Nicrew, that’s fine, but use the hypereef 100 or 150 watt, 2 or three puck versions will grow as good as Visparspectra.
4015C94E-B051-45BD-BC47-FF03493246D7.jpeg

Back