Is this a good or bad bristle worm?

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, just want a heads up on if this is a good or bad worm.
Let me know, thanks!

P.s. ignore the bits of algae, I'm working on it

20200911_210102.jpg

OP
OP
F

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a normal bristle worm from the picture. Nothing wrong with them. Good CC members as long as you control their population by not over feeding the system.
Awesome Thanks! I did a bunch of googling and couldn't for the life of me work out the difference between a fire worm and a regular bristle worm lol.

Thanks for the tip!

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with the first comment that it looks like a normal beneficial bristleworm. I used to have tons of them in my old 210, and they never caused any kind of problems.

OP
OP
F

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with the first comment that it looks like a normal beneficial bristleworm. I used to have tons of them in my old 210, and they never caused any kind of problems.
Awesome, thanks for the response. Im mostly a bit paranoid about fire worms since i tend to stir my sand by hand if I'm lazy.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with it... except that bristleworm will sting the crap out of your hand. (I dont think its an actual sting, just razor sharp bristles)

People love to claim without evidence that these things are beneficial. I've yet to see any evidence of that claim. Meanwhile, every time I touch one of those worms, its as bad as a hornet sting.

Nothing you can to do get rid of them unfortunately, but I'd definitely wear gloves once you know theyre in your tank.

OP
OP
F

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with it... except that bristleworm will sting the crap out of your hand. (I dont think its an actual sting, just razor sharp bristles)

People love to claim without evidence that these things are beneficial. I've yet to see any evidence of that claim. Meanwhile, every time I touch one of those worms, its as bad as a hornet sting.

Nothing you can to do get rid of them unfortunately, but I'd definitely wear gloves once you know theyre in your tank.
Thanks for the tips, ill definitely start being more careful.

A wrasse is on my maybe list for what I'll stock, so they might end up being food for that.

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup.. definitely wear gloves if you go digging around the bottom of your tank...

Arrow crabs I think eat them too.

zachj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, i have tons of them. They don't bother anything, but if you want to control the population, in my experience six line wrasse loves to eat them, and I used to have a coral banded shrimp a long time ago that loved to hunt for them.

OP
OP
F

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some micro brittle stars. They do the same job, and don’t sting you
I have a couple of these guys, scared
Get some micro brittle stars. They do the same job, and don’t sting you
I have a few of those guys actually, found out after finding one grabbing onto my finger and freaking me out when i was cleaning.

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It requires no evidence... it's simple logic that something stirring your sandbed and eating detritus is a valuable missing link in your aquarium.

Guess we know who is on the hitchhiker sterilization bandwagon... I mean the scaretrain... follow those trends big boi

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back