"New" 10 year old 180G In-Wall Reef

zachj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'll play along with the welcome message and post my tank. I have a 10 year old tank, 180 gallon in wall reef tank in my basement, with all the equipment hidden in the utility room. It's "new" because I had my first and only major tank crash in March, and so I'm for the most part starting over with coral frags.

As we have 3 young kids, work, home projects, coaching...life...the tank was in "ultra low maintenance mode" for a while. For the most part that just meant lots of algae, and a coral here and there getting overshadowed by bigger corals that i wasn't trimming back. So when work from home started for me I decided to get back to properly maintaining the tank. Did a water change, and immediately killed large colonies of corals, looked like I shot my giant toadstool coral with a gun the way it just slumped over. Long story short, the salt mix had gone bad somehow (didn't think that could happen, based on just about everything on the internet). But it was def bad, really examined it after, the bucket had a very strong "chemical" smell. Old reef crystals, but had been sealed in its bucket for a long time.... I tried to do a good thing, perform a water change and killed lots of coral, didn't bother my fish at all though, no casualties there. Couldn't fix it with a water change in time...the salt was the issue, got carbon up and running as fast as i could a couple days later, but damage was done. Carbon took care of it eventually, so I had a few survivors (all mushrooms, lordhowensis corals, blasto's, candy canes). The surviving LPS still had major colony deaths, but a few heads survived on each. And just now starting to see a tiny bit of the Toadstool survive and growing back (a quarter size vs the large dinner plate it was).

So that's why the tank is "new." Slowly have brought it back to life and stability with my oldest kid, as he's showing interest. Of course his favorite part is picking new fish and corals. Mostly been trying to make upgrades to the tank setup so that maintenance is easier and better so i'm more likely to keep doing it. So far so good. Made some return pump and plumbing upgrades, I run a carbon reactor all the time now (mixed with a small amount of GFO, Lighting upgrade (troublesome gen2 radions for gen5's and rented a PAR meter to set up right as the old radions caused bleaching), new Hanna checkers to make testing better/easier, started using filter socks as the 10 year buildup of "stuff" in my sump was a lot when i finally cleaned it.

Had a lot of this green macroalgae growth all over the tank, really thick, almost like a hair brush in stiffness and appearance, just green. Couldn't pull it out, would just lift up the whole aquascape. Then as we added some new fish a little mini "new" tank algae outbreak. Mostly hair and bubble algae. Used Vibrant, nearly all gone now after about 10 weeks of use. Some of that green algae left, but it is def dying off, and the tangs eat whats left. Very impressed with Vibrant.

Starting to finally get a quarantine tank up and running like we all should but many seem to not do until something bad happens.

So got lots of old experience, mostly learning things the hard way 10 years ago, trying to bring my tank up to speed on best practices. Amazing how much better the information and resources that are out there now to see. Helps a lot. Big fan of BRS videos. So many things i wish i knew 10 years ago. Don't get me wrong, i did lots of research and stuff, but there's no replacing experience and new info/resources. I did some things absolutely right, but lots of stuff wrong or the hard way.

My tank is a mixed reef, mostly soft/LPS, and just a few SPS, as I only run a Kalk reactor that my topoff drips through. Only had success with SPS in the past long term with montipora cap's. Had a huge colony before the crash. Opted not to reaquascape after the crash...thought about it, but just too huge of an endeavor. Believe me, the aquascape isn't great i know, especially for flow, but it is 10 years old. Good for the fish, lots of caves and a large overhang, but mostly just a wall of rock.

IMG_20200910_115042.jpg

IMG_20200910_115538.jpg

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. I have a sparsely rocked 180 in wall that is in the wall dividing the living room and my wife’s office. I’ve ended up putting the nicer corals on her side, lol

looking forward to seeing more

OP
OP
zachj7

zachj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MVIMG_20200912_181534.jpg

New addition to the reef today. Coral Banded Shrimp is a family favorite in our house.

So a little more about our reef. We have a "Dori" and two clownfish of course (clarki, hosting a rose bulb tip anenome) considering our 3 young kids. They are our oldest tank inhabitants. We also have a Yellow Tang, Kole Tank, 3 Lyretail Anthias, Blue Fusilier, Royal Gramma, Sixline Wrasse, Spotted Mandarin, 2 Firefish, and a Blood Red Fire Shrimp. Mostly pretty common fish, but we like them. Right now feeding Mysis twice a day, and on alternating days i feed seaweed sheets/hikari pellets and Reef Chili (for fish and corals). A dose of CoralAmmino daily.

I'm an electrical engineer, so of course I use an Apex, though it is 10 years old now and starting to show it. The old classic version, can be a bit glitchy sometimes, especially if the power blinks, which then it proceeds to power on and off repeatedly until i intervene. I have several EB8 outlets that no longer operate. I think all outlet failures I've had have been operating Maxijet pumps...something about that...cause i have other outlets that turn on and off 100x more than those ever did and they are still going strong. So at some point i'll be doing a controller upgrade with a new Apex. I like to automate and monitor.

I run a skimmer of course, created my own ATO (Water level switches, RO/DI water reservoir, gravity fed, needle valve, solenoid, thru kalk reactor). Used to have one big external main pump, switched it now to two smaller seperate submersible pumps, seperate plumbing, one with a 2 port manifold that feeds my carbon/GFO reactor. Old plumbing with old big pump was a nightmare for maintenance of course. Didn't know any better when i created it...think crappy useless pvc valves. Did it right this time, and very happy with it. Easy to maintain and has redundancy. A couple heaters controlled by my Apex. 2 MP40 vortechs, 3 blue gen5 XR30 radions, clear netted top, cooling fans for top surface. I don't dose anything besides the ATO thru the kalk reactor, as i said i have mixed reef, mostly soft/LPS with just a few SPS (1 acro, 1 birdsnest, 1 stylopora at the moment).

OP
OP
zachj7

zachj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be starting a quarantine tank like i said (finally). 60 gallon (big i know, but it is a tank that i already had not being used and if i need to medicate the tank doesn't have to be full), heater, powerhead, and using an old phosban reactor and pump for my filtration. Will use those high surface area spheres in the reactor for biofiltration. Currently they are in my sump for several weeks before i start the quarantine tank to get seeded with bacteria. Will likely take down tank when not in use, i have enough spheres to have more soak in the sump for the next time, while sterilizing and drying out the last used ones. So will always be ready to start up again when needed. Tank will be bare bottom, PVC fittings for fish habitat. Only plan on medicating if needed, otherwise just 30 day quarantine, mostly for acclimation to me and feeding as I have a big community in the tank and newcomers get too stressed. Last new fish i tried to bring in hid until death, hence finally doing what i should have been doing.

I feel pretty good about this approach for my needs. Owe this community for my plan, reading about people's best practices. Thanks. Open to suggestions of course, you can never stop learning in a hobby like this.

OP
OP
zachj7

zachj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mentioned I'm not crazy about my aquascape, but does have one feature i really like, a nice big overhang that the fish love, as well as coral banded shrimp. Not really a cave, as they can swim thru it, but it is pretty good size. A video would probably be better, but....
IMG_20200910_115131.jpg

OP
OP
zachj7

zachj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention i also recently installed a CO2 scrubber, big fan so far. Hit ph of 8.3 for the first time ever. I can only keep the windows open in certain seasons....after all I'm in Nebraska, either hot out or really cold. I still get swings, but instead of 7.9-8.1 night/day low/max i'm doing 8.15-8.3,

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and bummer about the crash but looks like it is starting to bounce back! :)

OP
OP
zachj7

zachj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had much luck in the past with Acropora, thought I'd give it a try this time around after I got the tank settled back down. I put in a fairly cheap blue Acropora back in June, now it seems to be dying. Polyps haven't been in out in for a couple weeks, just now starting to see tissue failing. It did so well for a while, had decent growth. It did suffer minor bleaching when my old lights malfuntion after a power blip and got stuck on at 100% for several hours while i was on vacation. It seemed to do OK for several weeks after that (other than losing it's deeper coloring), still had polyps coming out until this spell now. Tried Acropora like 8 years ago, had a similar result minus the bleaching. Did OK and grew for a while, then died like this. I have a birdsnest that was put in at the same time, still alive, though similarly lost some of its color (i wouldn't call it bleached though). But it's still growing, just not great color.

I'm not really having an issue with Calcium or Alkalinity (I was able to grow large LPS colonies over the years, and a couple large colonies of montipora, but no luck with Acropora). I just want one, haha.

This Acropora was at a 220 PAR location (so low end for SPS). Calcium is always in the 410-440 range, Alk 7.3 at the end of the day, Magnesium 1320-1360 ppm, phosphate very steady around the 0.05 ppm range. Finally got a new NYOS nitrate test kit, and nitrates are at 0 ppm. Never used to test much for nitrates because I always got 0 on the crappy test kit I used to have, but it would really only tell me if it got much higher like 20 ppm. But now i really believe it. 10 years ago most the advice for corals, especially SPS was go for 0 nitrates and phosphates. All new (to me) info out now says that's not really what you want. So maybe that's my issue. I'm not surprised it's 0, i have a lot of rock and a 3-4 inch sand bed (another regret). My refugium is large, but has no macro algae in it at all since that tank crash, it's just a big pod factory since i like Mandarins.

I kind of suspected I had really low nitrates before was able to test for sure, that's why i've been feeding Reef Chili and CoralAmmino. But still lost it.

Sounds like 220 PAR should be enough (mixed reef so I don't really want to go much higher, bottom of my tank 130 PAR, everything else is doing great so far)

Or would I have been OK without the lighting malfunction?

Open to thoughts. Maybe it's just a coral I won't be able to have with this tank.

OP
OP
zachj7

zachj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine tank is up and running, just got 3 new female anthias that are going through it right now
PXL_20201001_173551363.MP.jpg
PXL_20201001_173708148-1.jpg

Hardly had to buy anything, mostly used spare pumps and equipment and repurposed them.

OP
OP
zachj7

zachj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far quarantining is going well, got the fish eating relatively quickly with baby brine shrimp (the kids love hatching them and feeding them to the fish). Now the fish are pretty accustomed to me and know the turkey baster means food (which they're eating frozen mysis now also as this is what i feed the main display tank). Can't believe I didn't always put fish through quarantine...this is just so much better for acclimating them and getting them to eat. Not medicating anything, all fish look and act very healthy.

Also have a bunch of new corals coming on Friday from the WWC live sale. Never done that before, that was fun, got some awesome corals for good prices. Naturally got a few more than i was planning on getting, but very happy with what i was able to get, much cooler corals than I've kept in the past.

OP
OP
zachj7

zachj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Anthias have graduated quarantine, into the display tank. Had them in an acclimation box for a day, and just let them out. Doing well, swimming out with the rest of the fish. No hiding until death this time. This went so much better than straight into the display tank. I think that goes OK when you don't already have a community of fish already in there, but with all the fish in there now, new additions were just too stressed and scared.

Also installed a UV sterilizer last week. Had a mild case of dinos that really liked to be on my soft corals, irritating them. Installed the UV, at the same time turned off lights for a couple days. All my softies are back to being open all the time, so far so good. I should say it is only temp installed, haven't replumbed one of the return lines yet, but soon. Then the flow rate will be better. Right now the flow rate is a bit low, so not getting as much tank water turnover as I will be.

Adding a new tang in the next few days. Will go through the same quarantine/acclimation process I just did. I'm hoping after that fish addition I won't have to dose nitrates anymore, we'll see.

OP
OP
zachj7

zachj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, our clown fish have been spawning. This is the second round of eggs that they've had. My kids really want to try and raise them. So we might try that. Been trying to learn a bit on that, because I've never bred any fish before. We have some dry rotifers and we've been hatching baby brine shrimp all the time now. Just a matter of saving the hatch-lings from the tank.... The rock that the're on i might be able to remove without disturbing anything.... It'll be fun for the kids to try. My oldest is 8.
PXL_20201029_005406129.MP.jpg

blooper01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am late to the party, welcome. Looks great! I am always in awe of those who can have a dedicated aquarium room for their displays. I could if I wanted to run my lines to the basement under my tank, not sure I am ready for that amount of work yet ;) Anyway, great looking setup.

OP
OP
zachj7

zachj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am late to the party, welcome. Looks great! I am always in awe of those who can have a dedicated aquarium room for their displays. I could if I wanted to run my lines to the basement under my tank, not sure I am ready for that amount of work yet ;) Anyway, great looking setup.
The house had an unfinished basement, and this room has all the HVAC, water heater, etc. equipment in it. Just made sense to utilize it for this purpose while we finished the basement. Easy access to all the plumbing needs needed, and already had a floor drain.

OP
OP
zachj7

zachj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20210520_222821796.jpg

Haven't posted in a long while, looking better. Corals are growing, especially the softies. Been stable for a while now, if I can keep this up for a while I'll add another batch of corals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back