Is this a GSP?

wrightreef1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I’m new to this site and also my tank. I bought a used 54 gallon corner tank off Craigslist and came with everything needed to get it up and running, including all the rock and algae problem. Almost have all the algae under control. It came with one coral that originally looked like a GSP but after 2 weeks of being in the tank it started to come out and show its self, and to my surprise no green. More purple/pink. Any ideas or information would be great. Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey can you get a better picture? From what I can see here it looks like pulsing Xenia coral. GSP would grow on a purple Matt. There is a variety called a brown star polyp but it also grows on that purple Matt. You can see mine below.

Attachments

• B0CEE88F-14F2-4D0A-AA33-A7C1C6D40BF4.jpeg
    B0CEE88F-14F2-4D0A-AA33-A7C1C6D40BF4.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 28

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I’m new to this site and also my tank. I bought a used 54 gallon corner tank off Craigslist and came with everything needed to get it up and running, including all the rock and algae problem. Almost have all the algae under control. It came with one coral that originally looked like a GSP but after 2 weeks of being in the tank it started to come out and show its self, and to my surprise no green. More purple/pink. Any ideas or information would be great. Thanks in advance.

image.jpg
Looks like some sort of xenia or more likely, a clove polyp.

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is GSP based on how its growing and the polyps seem to look like a gsp polyp. Also they are not always green i had some in my tank when i first started and with time they became the same color in the picture as opposed to all the bright green ones you usually see...which could be a result of not having the proper elements in the tank for gsp ( Im not saying you dont) just generally speaking. so more than likely thats GSP especially if you see a purple pigment covering the rock

OP
OP
wrightreef1980

wrightreef1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your help and feedback. So further information, it is growing on a deep purple mat of sorts. The polyps/flower looking appendages don’t really look brown to me. But either way thanks for the input. Also just found a bristle worm on a rock. Should I leave it or try and pick it out with tweezers. Definitely not wi my fingers lol.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 41 57.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back