OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try holding the rock above a bucket of water but close to the surface. It might come out and drop in the water
If he doesn’t come out of this rock, looks like I’ll have to do it with every single piece of rock I have in the aquarium ( ̄▽ ̄) good thing it wasn’t aquascaped

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a glass water bottle that I slit the cap into pizza slices. The cap was aluminum, and when I sliced the cap I then took a pen and pushed it through the cap to bend the slices in. The shrimp can crawl in, but can’t get out. Also don’t push through with your finger. It can cause cuts and you won’t be able to pull it out. Good luck.

OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update….. still no sign of the manticore (mantis shrimp) (● ˃̶͈̀ロ˂̶͈́)੭ꠥ⁾⁾ I just placed a bottle with shrimp inside in the hopes he’ll wander in and get trapped…. Wish me luck ( T^T)
Sooooo… no luck with the trap, but I was able to grab him (hopefully) with his rock that he chose. I had a seahorse in a 5 gal observation tank that had his quarantine time finish, so I moved him with the rest of my herd, and had a temporary open tank to put the mantis in. I saw him move around his rock but didn’t grab a photo of him moving about in the old aquarium he was in. He’s allllmost an inch big, but moved too fast for me to really observe color or smasher/spear types. I did get another photo of him peaking his eyes out. I left an offering of mysis shrimp in his temporary tank. Hopefully he comes out and says hi soon.
I’m saving to upgrade my 30 gal seahorse tank to a 125gal lagoon type, so hopefully I can upgrade Manticore Mantis in a few months if I probably decide to keep him and figure out his type. Gonna read up on their care requirements since poor dude ended up in my live rock haha. Too bad I can’t use that rock for my aquascape though

Attachments

• EE75E464-1478-4363-A11D-85535E842545.jpeg
    EE75E464-1478-4363-A11D-85535E842545.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 59
  • B16D9ABB-A53C-4CD4-BA91-CAB051D25B50.jpeg
    B16D9ABB-A53C-4CD4-BA91-CAB051D25B50.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 57

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just eliminated a mantis from my tank tonight. Had to skewer him after attempting to trap on and off for 13 months. Have some aiptasia and got a shipment of peppermint shrimp in today so he had to go.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just eliminated a mantis from my tank tonight. Had to skewer him after attempting to trap on and off for 13 months. Have some aiptasia and got a shipment of peppermint shrimp in today so he had to go.
I have 2 shrimp for CUC then I have at least 1 Mantis who keeps to his own rock (for now) and 2 pistols. No one as yet has had a go at my shrimp. Although I have had a number of hitchhiker crabs turn up dead for no apparent reason while many other crabs have survived cycling including my urchin

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 shrimp for CUC then I have at least 1 Mantis who keeps to his own rock (for now) and 2 pistols. No one as yet has had a go at my shrimp. Although I have had a number of hitchhiker crabs turn up dead for no apparent reason while many other crabs have survived cycling including my urchin
Ya, he has taken out several snails and all three original peppermint shrimp I tried to put in t a few months ago. Would have liked to trap him to remove and given to someone that wanted one but he was too smart for the bottle trap and I didn't want to tear up my scape to take a rock out to get him.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back