Is this a Nassarius snail or Whelk?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gojjie24
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Gojjie24

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 24, 2024
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Location
Minneapolis
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bare bottom tank with a lot of SPS corals and a couple LPS. Have a couple of these guys that come out only at night. Thinking it is a whelk, but figured I’d get a couple other opinions. I’m also curious if this type of snail is bad for the tank.

20251201_025306_053D6B20-8917-4A88-8F35-BD612F7F8AAE.png
 
I have a bare bottom tank with a lot of SPS corals and a couple LPS. Have a couple of these guys that come out only at night. Thinking it is a whelk, but figured I’d get a couple other opinions. I’m also curious if this type of snail is bad for the tank.

20251201_025306_053D6B20-8917-4A88-8F35-BD612F7F8AAE.png
Looks like a whelk to me, siphon appears mottled. Unlike nassarius snails they don’t go under the sand ( I realize your bare bottom) and are nocturnal. Here’s one I pulled from my tank a few years ago.
IMG_5190.jpeg
 
Some welks are active hunters an most sea shells you will find at the beach will have small holes in the top where a dog welk has drilled a hole and injected stuff to melt the insides of the snail.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 35.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new