Is this a sponge?

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at quite a few posts on here and I can't tell if this creature that appeared in my tank is a sponge or not. It's a different color than all the other ones I've seen, because it's red with white frills, and it doesn't match the description of location on the common tank hitchhikers thread, being in a fairly low flow, non-shaded area of the tank. Here's a little video I took of it, too, where it can be seen in motion. It's pretty active for how low flow the area of the tank really is.

1636832205591.png

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most probably a species of nudibranch

OP
OP
Surskit

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most probably a species of nudibranch
Oh, interesting! I hadn't thought of that. Should I take it out/quarentine it or would it be fine to keep there? At the moment I don't have any coral for it to prey on, as I've been having some real issues with water quality, but I have some fish and inverts.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, interesting! I hadn't thought of that. Should I take it out/quarentine it or would it be fine to keep there? At the moment I don't have any coral for it to prey on, as I've been having some real issues with water quality, but I have some fish and inverts.
Most nudibranch will starve in aquaria, it will be up to you. I had plenty of them in the past as hitchhikers and all end up disappearing

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at quite a few posts on here and I can't tell if this creature that appeared in my tank is a sponge or not.
looks to me like a dead bit of something, or leftover food overgrown by bacteria.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back