Surskit's Second Reef!

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello hello! I'm back! After a feud with my landlord, I was able to set up a reef once again! It's smaller than my last, at only 10 gallons, but I have a really pretty rimless tank and I'm excited to get to do this again! In addition, I got a job at my LFS, so I've been able to learn things hands on from MUCH larger tanks than I've ever had. I had to set up the tank very quickly, as there was two baby Clownfish from a local breeder that I was having my work hold and I didn't want to hold for too long, so I set up the tank last night, did heavy testing along with adding bottled bacteria, live sand, and live rock, and got the fish and some minor clean up crew earlier today. For this first week or two I plan on testing my water daily, and doing a 50% water change or so if I detect any ammonia at all. I think that already this tank looks a lot better than my last, and I can't wait for it to stabilize so I can put more in it! Because the water volume is so small, I don't really plan on ever doing any SPS corals, or LPS that aren't notably easy, but I think I can easily do some softies, plus possibly a Rock Flower Nem once the tank is really stable. I also hope to fit on the Noopsyche light I won in a giveaway here a bit ago, however the mounting bracket doesn't seem to fit very well without a rim. I'm debating on if I should try and fit something between the glass and the bracket, or if I should get some sturdy cable and hand just the light itself from the ceiling with hooks. Also ignore the lid that doesn't fit lol, I'm planning on getting a net lid at some point soon but I used whatever I could find on hand that fit.

IMG_1882.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1886.mov
    7.5 MB
OP
OP
Surskit

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haven't posted in here in a bit, but i thought i'd give the small update that everything is still alive and i've been able to successfully grow a giant colony of zoas, so i'm planning on finally taking the dive into stony corals, it's just a little difficult to find lps where sweeper tentacles aren't a danger to the other corals in such a small tank, i'm even considering going with a bird's nest to experiement since i heard it was the easiest of the lps. regardless i'll happily take any advice that any of you may have. i know that candy corals don't have sweeper tentacles to worry about and they're lps but i just don't like the look of them much lol, i'm open to any other ideas though!

OP
OP
Surskit

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of the zoa colony? I'd love to see it!!
i thought i attached some photos in the original post, whoops! here's one from the front of the tank, as well as one from above

Attachments

• 4EFF40C7-1EB7-437C-AAB2-DA415F13FEFE.jpeg
    4EFF40C7-1EB7-437C-AAB2-DA415F13FEFE.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 0D51E3A9-6B55-468D-9C8E-AF6F40E1F888.jpeg
    0D51E3A9-6B55-468D-9C8E-AF6F40E1F888.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 27

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought i attached some photos in the original post, whoops! here's one from the front of the tank, as well as one from above
Oh nice those zoa colonies are doing great

Back