287F6C44-B4B0-4584-9711-47B07008B0EC.jpeg

AC02CC99-F295-4027-9954-F98CB2B21E94.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you inspected them for any pests that may be eating away at them? Or have you observed any crabs or anything hanging around them more then normal?

OP
OP
Nopy117

Nopy117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Have you inspected them for any pests that may be eating away at them? Or have you observed any crabs or anything hanging around them more then normal?
Ive thoroughly inspected and dipped the three most effected colony’s, found nothing, only tank inhabitant is a purple lobster which I’ve never actually seen touch the zoas, but he’s the prime suspect as of now.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

Ive thoroughly inspected and dipped the three most effected colony’s, found nothing, only tank inhabitant is a purple lobster which I’ve never actually seen touch the zoas, but he’s the prime suspect as of now.
What are your parameters and lighting?

OP
OP
Nopy117

Nopy117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters and lighting?
Params close to natural seawater, using coralife salt, but I don’t closely monitor params as this is my 10g softie frag tank, so a water change resets them to whatever the salt has in it, Ive written of params as the nems and other more sensitive stuff is going well.

Lighting however was recently swapped from a Kessil A80 to an A160 that I keep at about 30%, I was in the process of slowly upping the intensity these past few days, but have since lowered it back down and stopped increasing it once I seen these guys act funny.

OP
OP
Nopy117

Nopy117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: They are massive Amphipods attacking and eating my zoas...... At night really big ones climb and pick at the polyps. What do i do here?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's unlikely the Amphipods are eating the live flesh of a zoa. I have seen them eat dead coral tissue before.

Can you post a picture of what you are seeing?

I would pull them out and dip them also.

jrust2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s due to your lighting. I had the same exact issue when I switched from the hydra 26 to the hydra 52 hd. After I realized what was going on, i dialed back the intensity. Unfortunately the damage had already been done. Some recovered, but most look pretty bad still. Skirts folded over and they have burnt look.

OP
OP
Nopy117

Nopy117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just pulled a juvenile nudibranch off of one of my colony’s, he was so small it’s hard to give an exact id, but he’s got a underside like a slug and top with “quills” he also ran away from my turkey baster on his own too.

Hiding in plain sight, thought he was a small aiptasia

OP
OP
Nopy117

Nopy117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying dipping them with FWE, but it will not kill the nudis eggs so it may take serveral dips to completely rid your tank of them. Good luck fighting your new found enemy.
I was just gonna dose the tank a few times three days apart. 1 drop per gallon, that sound ok to you?

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally I not a fan of treating the whole tank unless there is no other choice. I would dip them. But I have read that people have had to use upwards of four times of recommend dose when using as a whole tank treatment.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back