Is this a toadstool leathers coral?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. My wife bought me this coral for Christmas. I think it’s a white toadstool leather but I don’t know. She paid 25$ for it. I feel like it was a decent deal. Someone please help me I’d this thing and let me know is she did good! Thanks!

Edit: It’s like solid ghost white. I don’t think it’s bleached because it’s not that clear color they get when bleached out.

8884D619-2C95-43A8-B014-AA1A07B81889.jpeg

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t appear to be a leather toadstool. Looks like palys or even zoas. Grouping of more than 1 is also indicative of that as well as the size.
I can't judge the size by that pic, but my first thought was bleached palythoa grandis.
Are Grandis worth anything? I’ve never heard of them but they look pretty decent in the main tank these were dragged off of. They were solid white and healthy looking there as well. I’ll send white pics here in a moment

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just give them time to recover. Since you don't know why they are bleached it could be from too much light, not enough light, or anything else.

As long as you're not blasting them with too much light, or too much flow they should be fine and recover their colour within a few weeks to months. As they start to colour up you will be able to identify them. They may take small particle food if you wish to feed them, but that is not required and they may not have a feeding response at all. Give them time! I do see what looks like byopsis behind them though.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just toss em in low light on the bottom of the tank, occasional feeding with reefroids or similar definitely wouldn't hurt but probably isn't necessary. I like grandis palys and have been looking for them for some time now (getting them in next week, yay!) Theyre pretty cool if you look up some pictures, about the size of a half dollar coin.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just give them time to recover. Since you don't know why they are bleached it could be from too much light, not enough light, or anything else.

As long as you're not blasting them with too much light, or too much flow they should be fine and recover their colour within a few weeks to months. As they start to colour up you will be able to identify them. They may take small particle food if you wish to feed them, but that is not required and they may not have a feeding response at all. Give them time! I do see what looks like byopsis behind them though.
Byopsis?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back