Is this an Anemone or Duncan?

BrokenMarrow

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 15, 2020
Messages
29
Reaction score
12
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a Zoa colony that had this guy on it. I cant tell if it's an Anemone (possibly Anthopleura?) Or a duncan. I need someone who is more experienced to help me out. And what type it would be. It's like a light blue with slight red tentacles under the blue light.
The pics were from maybe a week or 2 ago. Looks a little different now. I'll try to get a new pic later today.

20200428_191110.jpg 20200428_191925.jpg
 
Duncan's come in many different color variations. It looks exactly like a duncan head to me.
 
So if it has a stoney stem, it's safe to keep, if its soft, get rid of it.
 
Exactly.

If it has a stony base it's a duncan, if it's all soft like any other anemone, then it's a majano and you want to get it out as soon as possible.
 
Makes sense. Lol. Thank you all for your help.
 
Majano. Remove it ASAP. They are very invasive once they take hold in a tank.
 
A Duncan is an lps coral, ie has a hard skeleton. If it does not than it’s a pest anenome.
 
Duncan. Majano does not have a mouth like that in the picture
 
Interesting how ppl can say it’s a Duncan without even knowing if it has a skeleton, lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new