Is this Aptasia?

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Have a massive amount of Aptasia in my display tank. Going to remove all the rocks and put new rocks in. I have everything prepped but I noticed these other things in the sump. The aptasia in the DT is all brown color, while this thing in the sump is translucent. What is this in the sump? It resembles aptasia but the coloring is different, and it also looks slightly different.

One picture is natural lighting and the other is with a flashlight shining on it. Top View. It's attached to the glass.

IMG-1542.jpg

IMG-1544.jpg

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to more aiptasia. It probably doesn't get much light there. Understand that even if you remove all the rocks and start with new, you may end up still getting aiptasia. And you may also cause a short cycle of the tank. I suggest a method of control such as filefish, peppermint shrimp, or berghia nudibranchs.

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to more aiptasia. It probably doesn't get much light there. Understand that even if you remove all the rocks and start with new, you may end up still getting aiptasia. And you may also cause a short cycle of the tank. I suggest a method of control such as filefish, peppermint shrimp, or berghia nudibranchs.

I tried nudibranchs before... Seem to work but they came back after a few months. Suspect it was due to the sump not getting eradicated. Tried peppermint shrimps but nothing happen.. The shrimps disappeared in 3 days and never seen them again lol.

This time its sort of out of control... I think maybe new rock work, empty out sump and let it dry out.. And if they come back, I can do nudibranchs again with a lower manageable aptasia count.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back