Is this ATO reservoir (and superglue) ok for kalk?

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I recently needed to purchase an ATO reservoir on short order. I read that Acrylic is safe for kalkwasser. I bought this reservoir on amazon:

It has a ball valve on the bottom, which I really prefer it didn't. I can't figure out what kind of plastic it is...

Also, it leaked. I sealed the heck out of it with superglue... On the threads, inside and outside joints, and inside and outside "tube" interior... Filled it up with superglue. It's no longer leaking.

So... Any idea if this ball valve, or the superglue, is going to withstand extended exposure to a kalkwasser solution?

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yuck I’d request a replacement, (especially at that price) I have no idea how long super glue will hold for but it certainly becomes quite brittle. Aquarium silicon would be a much better choice in my opinion.

OP
OP
eag

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea how long super glue will hold for but it certainly becomes quite brittle.

Brittle after... Exposure to salt water? Or kalkwasser? And after how long?

I'll look up some aquarium silicone, maybe the next time we clean it out we can glob a bunch on top of the inlet and around the joints... I assume the silicone will stand up to the kalkwasser just fine? A leak would probably spell the end of the tank :-/

OP
OP
eag

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it leaked.

I guess I should also clarify that it was the ball valve that leaked (not the reservoir), and the leak appeared to come from the threading/joint... Which led me to apply superglue to the threads, and tighten a little beyond the proper orientation.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.3%
Back