Is this bad coming from the pump impeller?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Max93
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Max93

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Messages
776
Reaction score
372
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have an eflux 1900gph pump that I use for my UV sterilizer.

I noticed cleaning the impeller today, that the magnet when you rub it on a paper towel or a towel, it leaves a dark residue. Is this bad? If so why are we using these things for our aquariums?

my gyre magnets where doing the same thing so I got rid of them and got an MP60 instead. See attached image.

thank you

8192B652-6C0C-497C-A6CB-FE83EECB1B2C.jpeg
 
From my experience (I have gyres that are as old as when they were release, so will use them as an example), this is just slime/bacteria or something else. Unless it sticks to a magnet, then no worries. My gyres are still running, have had this every time I clean them and any icp test I have done has no issues with any metals or anything like that.

I also use MP40s and mp10s. They end up with the same thing, just takes longer to build up due to the design.
 
Thanks for the reply.

it just a major concern to me - are all our pumps producing this? The exposed magnets inside the aquarium for the gyres really threw me off - the amount of “magnet” coming off was absurd which is why I got rid of those. It just kept coming.

Is this a design flaw? Like, I see what you’re saying if it’s not sticking to a magnet but what are the long term effects ?
 
Thanks for the reply.

it just a major concern to me - are all our pumps producing this? The exposed magnets inside the aquarium for the gyres really threw me off - the amount of “magnet” coming off was absurd which is why I got rid of those. It just kept coming.

Is this a design flaw? Like, I see what you’re saying if it’s not sticking to a magnet but what are the long term effects ?
So far after quite a few years, none for me. No elevated anything in any of my tanks and no issues with sensitive corals in the tanks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new