Is this BJD on my torch?

WUZUPNOW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see it is still fully extended and not showing any signs yet but worried it's the calm b4 the storm. I used a flashlight to get white light on it to see the brown spots, hope that helped. Thanks ahead of time to all who take time to respond.

IMG_2380.jpeg IMG_2378.jpeg IMG_2376.jpeg

OP
OP
WUZUPNOW

WUZUPNOW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure if it is growing new skeleton or the start of something horrible but the ring just above the base (immediately below the red circe) has darkened considerably as well.

OP
OP
WUZUPNOW

WUZUPNOW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update ....... I lost it. 2 days after this post it stopped extending completely and started covering the head this white/brown stuff. So is this bjd?
IMG_2396.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BJD is a bacterial infection that develops when parameters are way off in a tank. This causes coral immune systems to collapse allowing BJD to invade and typically kill euphyllia in 24 to 48 hours. Can't tell anything from your pics. We need full tank parameters and age of the tank. Any other euphyllia showing signs of infection? BJD has a strong foul odor too.

OP
OP
WUZUPNOW

WUZUPNOW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After inspecting the skeleton more I have realized there was a lot of dog hair stuck to/in it. Is it possible that so much hair got caught in it and irritated it until it developed bjd?

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure if it is growing new skeleton or the start of something horrible but the ring just above the base (immediately below the red circe) has darkened considerably as well.
Brown jelly disease looks like some slimy foggy thing over your coral. DO NOT MISTAKE BJD FOR POOPING CORAL. I did this and accidentally threw out a perfectly healthy coral. Your coral is just very healthy!

OP
OP
WUZUPNOW

WUZUPNOW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown jelly disease looks like some slimy foggy thing over your coral. DO NOT MISTAKE BJD FOR POOPING CORAL. I did this and accidentally threw out a perfectly healthy coral. Your coral is just very healthy!
I've actually lost it. I was messing around and just blowing out the dead tissue and stuff and happen to notice all the dog hair that was coming off of it. That was all after I got that white/brown thing off the top of the head.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back