Is this blue spot jawfish disease

tylr_am

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this blue spot jaw fish disease if it is can I don’t anything to save him and will it infect my other fish?

IMG_8298.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is this blue spot jaw fish disease if it is can I don’t anything to save him and will it infect my other fish?

IMG_8298.jpeg
This appears to be an injury which has become infected
You can safely use ruby rally pro or seachem neoplex to encourage healing

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you know this fish needs several inches of sand? It’s supposed to be under the sand , not sitting on top of it. It also needs colder water. It looks sad. And very sick. Poor thing.

OP
OP
T

tylr_am

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This appears to be an injury which has become infected
You can safely use ruby rally pro or seachem neoplex to encourage healing
Ok also he’s across the whole tank from his burrow he is weird like this sometimes but when I touch the glass he swims back but he didn’t go back this time also this is another photo

Attachments

• IMG_8300.jpeg
    IMG_8300.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
T

tylr_am

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you know this fish needs several inches of sand? It’s supposed to be under the sand , not sitting on top of it. It also needs colder water. It looks sad. And very sick. Poor thing.
He has a whole rock to himself he made a burrow and he is not in it so I am worried

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok also he’s across the whole tank from his burrow he is weird like this sometimes but when I touch the glass he swims back but he didn’t go back this time also this is another photo
Yes- the infection is taking control of fish

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have aeration already to treat him does he need to be separated from the other fish or can I just do it in the tank he’s in
I went through a few BSJ fish more than a decade ago and most ended up with them dying from it without spreading to other fish. This was before I knew how to QT so I can’t say if there is an effective cure for it. I doubt it exists since I’ve never heard of such treatment for a special and mostly un-understood disease.

OP
OP
T

tylr_am

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through a few BSJ fish more than a decade ago and most ended up with them dying from it without spreading to other fish. This was before I knew how to QT so I can’t say if there is an effective cure for it. I doubt it exists since I’ve never heard of such treatment for a special and mostly un-understood disease.
He has been eating and everything today so idk if it is BSJ disease but if it is i hope it doesn’t spread

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been eating and everything today so idk if it is BSJ disease but if it is i hope it doesn’t spread

How long have you had the fish?

It does look like BSJ disease. I've never heard of anyone curing it, because so much of its start comes from environmental issues (temperature mostly). It also doesn't seem to transmit to other species.

Back in the day, I had a eastern pacific exhibit with a colony of BSJ. The tank was 75f and no real issues with them. I think that more recently, people are trying to keep them warmer, and the supply chain just isn’t as good as it was back 30 years ago, and the fish aren’t being handled well.

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back