Is this bristle worm ? ID please.

senkum

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 15, 2025
Messages
38
Reaction score
10
Location
CNJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this bristle worm ? It’s like 2-3 inches long.
How do I get rid of it ? Help please.

IMG_0646.jpeg
 
Looks like bristleworm. Harmless and good detritus eater. No reason to remove it :)
 
Is this bristle worm ? It’s like 2-3 inches long.
How do I get rid of it ? Help please.

IMG_0646.jpeg
Yes, common bristleworm. While some regard them as cleaners as they do eat uneaten food and detritus, Not welcomed in my tank as they grow large. Ive found 12-14" ones in the past but they harmless unless touched with bare fingers
 
Thank you all for the ID. They look scary. Is there a way to remove them ? Can I introduce a bristle worm predator to get rid of them ? Please suggest. I don’t want that to breed or grow longer.
 
Thank you all for the ID. They look scary. Is there a way to remove them ? Can I introduce a bristle worm predator to get rid of them ? Please suggest. I don’t want that to breed or grow longer.
Wrasse and Dottybacks hunt them
 
Thank you all for the ID. They look scary. Is there a way to remove them ? Can I introduce a bristle worm predator to get rid of them ? Please suggest. I don’t want that to breed or grow longer.
Can’t beat arrow crab
Eerie looking but effective
 
I seriously doubt that is your only one. I have them in all 4 of my tanks. The only time i see them during the day is in my newer tank which is lacking a good food source for them. I have to look at night to see them in my other tanks. I find them pretty interesting. This one was in my sump I was tearing down so I moved it to the new tank. Handling them without gloves is not recommended but my hands are pretty calloused.

20230803_185753.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new