Is this brown jelly disease?

JayFish4004

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 2, 2016
Messages
560
Reaction score
324
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t figure out what is happening to my hammer - params all fine, all other euphyllia doing well..

https://youtube.com/shorts/5Lt0m_k0YOo?feature=share
4222C5E8-609D-458A-902A-4DA1B95E3557.jpeg
 
No based off your videos in this and the other post. This seems much more like algae growth on dead pieces of skeleton. It does not have a "jelly" like consistency and does not even seem to jiggle when the flow get to the hammer.
 
No based off your videos in this and the other post. This seems much more like algae growth on dead pieces of skeleton. It does not have a "jelly" like consistency and does not even seem to jiggle when the flow get to the hammer.
Sorry got antsy and posted twice - here is an update - I pulled him out and upon further inspection this is all green algae.

I suspect this means its only a matter of time before jelly kicks in?

B86AA582-C1CE-4961-892A-CE85B6C0E56D.jpeg
 
Sorry got antsy and posted twice - here is an update - I pulled him out and upon further inspection this is all green algae.

I suspect this means its only a matter of time before jelly kicks in?

B86AA582-C1CE-4961-892A-CE85B6C0E56D.jpeg
I do see a little jelly-like substance there around the larger piece in the middle that looks a bit sketchy.
 
Sorry got antsy and posted twice - here is an update - I pulled him out and upon further inspection this is all green algae.

I suspect this means its only a matter of time before jelly kicks in?

B86AA582-C1CE-4961-892A-CE85B6C0E56D.jpeg
That's good! Glad I was wrong :)
BJD usually happens to injured or very stressed coral. If you can get the frogspawn to retract, try brushing the algae off with a soft toothbrush. Be careful though not to damage any of the septae.
 
I do see a little jelly-like substance there around the larger piece in the middle that looks a bit sketchy.
Try an iodine dip. Dilute to the color of strong tea and let the coral sit for 10 minutes.
 
Try an iodine dip. Dilute to the color of strong tea and let the coral sit for 10 minutes.
It doesn’t really seem like he’ll retract - at this stage is it probably a losing battle?

Also - how do you think this happened? Everything else seems to be doing so well.
 
That's good! Glad I was wrong :)
BJD usually happens to injured or very stressed coral. If you can get the frogspawn to retract, try brushing the algae off with a soft toothbrush. Be careful though not to damage any of the septae.
The blue lights really mess with judging color thats for sure - I’ve had what I suspected was brown jelly once before and it smelled rotten. Wonder if thats a sign. This guy doesn’t have a rotten smell.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 51 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 22 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new