Is this bryopsis?

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally dealing with every pest possible in my tank right now. Now I think I have some nasty algae taking over. Anyone think this is bryopsis? Or is it just hair algae?
20220904_185829.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read often that bryopsis is fern like looking with feathery leaves looks,and to use something like a dental pick to remove all roots from rocks if decide to remove so doesnt grow back,ive never had or experienced it,just what I've read but thought I say that while bumping thread back to top so can get more eyes on it for you .
Good luck

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this for you as read many times over the years, just re-read and under bryopsis says some hair algae have feathery fern like,so not all like this is nessesary bryopsis,but the root structure is an indication.anyway here article for you to read yourself if not already read
Good luck

OP
OP
radav88

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a close up pic of the ends of the branches.
My camera isn't good enough to get a good closeup pic of the ends. It doesn't have a a fern like structure, the algae grows in tufts with straight strands. It essentially looks like grass.

OP
OP
radav88

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this for you as read many times over the years, just re-read and under bryopsis says some hair algae have feathery fern like,so not all like this is nessesary bryopsis,but the root structure is an indication.anyway here article for you to read yourself if not already read
Good luck
Thank you for that! I've read over it and looked at the pictures and just couldn't decide if it was hair algae or maybe some form of bryopsis. I'm going to do a water change tomorrow and pull up as much as I can in the process.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My camera isn't good enough to get a good closeup pic of the ends. It doesn't have a a fern like structure, the algae grows in tufts with straight strands. It essentially looks like grass.
Probably just GHA then

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that! I've read over it and looked at the pictures and just couldn't decide if it was hair algae or maybe some form of bryopsis. I'm going to do a water change tomorrow and pull up as much as I can in the process.
Your very much welcome and my initial thought when seen your picture was gha and looked like some already dying as white and fuzzy but then thought picture blurry so is it on a super white rock idk ha ha
Good luck anyway and removing as much as possible always a good method

OP
OP
radav88

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just GHA then

With a mix of golden algae (chrysophytes) by the look from here. Don’t look like bryopsis.
Awesome thank you for putting my mind at ease.

Your very much welcome and my initial thought when seen your picture was gha and looked like some already dying as white and fuzzy but then thought picture blurry so is it on a super white rock idk ha ha
Good luck anyway and removing as much as possible always a good method
Yeah, it seems pretty easy to remove. Hopefully this is just a phase since the tank is just a month old.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sharing this incase haven't seen before,a new updated version done few months ago,pretty much same as another old one but some more detail in explanations and all that etc,as you say dealing with every pest possible ^_^
Here a thread I started few months back when my tank was about 8-9 months after adding first coral frag,all frags dipped but not qt ( ovbiously thread title gives it away )
Not sharing this because trying to get you to qt your corals as that your choice entirely,but just showing my cute and not so cute little hitch hikers lol ,8 different kinds of pods i can see,ampripods,munnid isopods,3 different copepids and 3 different orthropods and lots off 2 little tufts on few hermit shells and a zoa colony,and lots multiply sponges and one seen lately on my gsp that literally got spikes on lol but all isn't lost,just keep plodding on and all will be well ^_^

Last edited:

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like gha to me. I had bryopsis in 2014 and it doesn't look soft. It's hard like a tiny plant stem with short branches

OP
OP
radav88

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sharing this incase haven't seen before,a new updated version done few months ago,pretty much same as another old one but some more detail in explanations and all that etc,as you say dealing with every pest possible ^_^
Here a thread I started few months back when my tank was about 8-9 months after adding first coral frag,all frags dipped but not qt ( ovbiously thread title gives it away )
Not sharing this because trying to get you to qt your corals as that your choice entirely,but just showing my cute and not so cute little hitch hikers lol ,8 different kinds of pods i can see,ampripods,munnid isopods,3 different copepids and 3 different orthropods and lots off 2 little tufts on few hermit shells and a zoa colony,and lots multiply sponges and one seen lately on my gsp that literally got spikes on lol but all isn't lost,just keep plodding on and all will be well ^_^
Yeah, my biggest problem right now is that I'm dealing with two different types of nocturnal parasitic isopods that are a huge pain to remove. If I had bryopsis as well, I would probably just tear things down nuke the rock and start over.

Thanks so much for the info and encouragement.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 89 41.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 106 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back