Is this color normal for Tropic Marin AFR

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Tropic Marin AFR for some time now and I do like it but I noticed the solution I have been dosing has changed colors on me. Is this normal or is it something I should be worried about.

IMG_2461.jpeg

F4u-SuperCorsair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Tropic Marin AFR for some time now and I do like it but I noticed the solution I have been dosing has changed colors on me. Is this normal or is it something I should be worried about.

IMG_2461.jpeg
I wouldn't use it and would contact TM. Mine is always nice and clear.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2461.jpeg

It should mix clear. At least mine does. I've seen this when the ratio was off as it relates to mixing powder to water. So let us know how you mixed it at what ratio. Also did you use the scoop or weigh? If you used the scoop did you pack it tight or was it fluffy?

My guess is you put too much powder in. I personally weigh the product into a known amount of rodi water.

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 900 ml of RODI water and then add the proper amount 160 grams of AFR. I always add by weight. I then mix in a mixer until it’s clear.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Have you let it sit and how long for?

Here is a batch of mine while mixing, then after. Not that it matters but again the end result is clear for the most part. I usually mix 1800 ml batches too. TM has been tagged so we'll see what they suggest.

1700431510957.png

1700431530625.png

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine mixes clear as well, but for some reason after it’s been in the dosing container it turned yellow.
I sent Tropic Marin an email. Hopefully they will be able to explain what’s going on.

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Have you let it sit and how long for?

Here is a batch of mine while mixing, then after. Not that it matters but again the end result is clear for the most part. I usually mix 1800 ml batches too. TM has been tagged so we'll see what they suggest.

1700431510957.png

1700431530625.png
I mix for several minutes until it is clear then I add to dosing container.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I understand correctly that with the first post you said it changed colors? So does that mean it mixed clear but then changed after you started to dose?

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct it did mix clear with a slight yellow hue, but turned yellow when it was in my dosing container.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus - sounds like a light week for Tropic Marin (rightly so, well deserved) but if by chance you are around could you help?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From TM:

" The yellow or pale-brownish color of All-For-Reef is caused by iron, manganese and maybe iodine while the colors of K+ and A- Elements is achieved with a minute amount of a harmless dye. This masks the orange-brown color K+ Elements would have otherwise and A- Elements would be clear."

From me:
IMO, the iodine is not part of any color. The colors can change over time as the oxidation states of the iron and manganese can change.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus - sounds like a light week for Tropic Marin (rightly so, well deserved) but if by chance you are around could you help?
I think, with all this information, the question has been answered. The bottom line is that some "coloration" of the mixed solution is absolutely not any issue. It does not effect the potency or use of the solution in any way.
If there are remaining unanswered questions, please feel free to reach back out to me. But it looks like this has been covered here.

kriskool123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure if you also noticed the plastic seal under the lid is also tinted yellow instead of perfectly clear. I noticed this before and still dosed a whole 1600 gram tub worth of yellow all for reef liquid and had no issues. Just looks funky but you should have no issues.

IMG_2461.jpeg

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure if you also noticed the plastic seal under the lid is also tinted yellow instead of perfectly clear. I noticed this before and still dosed a whole 1600 gram tub worth of yellow all for reef liquid and had no issues. Just looks funky but you should have no issues.
The lid gets yellow due to iodine "off-gassing". We are working on a solution to that issue. But have not found it yet. As said, it doesn't effect anything. Just looks really bad.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lid gets yellow due to iodine "off-gassing". We are working on a solution to that issue. But have not found it yet. As said, it doesn't effect anything. Just looks really bad.

Somewhat unrelated but the new 1600g container - not a fan. That lid does not seem to provide an air tight closure. Maybe it doesn't matter or maybe it needs to off gas but I liked the previous lid that at least screwed on a bit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You may not want to get into proprietary discussions, but how do you know it is I2? If you leave I- out of the formulation, the issue does not arise?

I'd expect a little sodium ascorbate would eliminate the formation of I2, if it is happening, without having much impact on the product attributes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back