OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to all who answered my question. I can always count on everyone here to come through. I feel better now knowing this is not an issue. Especially when it comes from Randy Holmes Farley. Thanks Lou for your prompt email response as well. I understand we are all busy during the holidays, but it’s the little things that make a difference. Customer service is something we all look for when we encounter a problem and I know I will never have an issue getting in touch with Lou from Tropic Marin. Thanks again!

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat unrelated but the new 1600g container - not a fan. That lid does not seem to provide an air tight closure. Maybe it doesn't matter or maybe it needs to off gas but I liked the previous lid that at least screwed on a bit.
Yes, definitely not a fan of the new lid design! Last night, I grabbed the container (mostly by the top/lid as I always done with the old container design). The lids came off and the container fall on the floor; dumping half of the content out
To the OP, I observed the similar color changes in the dosing container so I just mix less volume now.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat unrelated but the new 1600g container - not a fan. That lid does not seem to provide an air tight closure. Maybe it doesn't matter or maybe it needs to off gas but I liked the previous lid that at least screwed on a bit.
Both of the sizes, the 800gm and the 1600gm have the new, tamper proof lids. We needed to go to those due to some of the containers unscrewing themselves in shipping. Those new lids should screw on as well as the old ones. I will check and see if I can determine what you are referencing.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not want to get into proprietary discussions, but how do you know it is I2? If you leave I- out of the formulation, the issue does not arise?

I'd expect a little sodium ascorbate would eliminate the formation of I2, if it is happening, without having much impact on the product attributes.
I, personally, am not 100% sure. I am just going on what I am told by my scientists in Germany. I will forward your comments to them and see what they have to say about it... Thanks for your input.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Tropic Marin AFR for some time now and I do like it but I noticed the solution I have been dosing has changed colors on me. Is this normal or is it something I should be worried about.

IMG_2461.jpeg
I've had something similar not quite as cloudy brown but after letting it settle it left the bottom of my dosing container with a brown layer and the liquid was clear, almost positive it's elements more than likely iron that are out of solution (imo)....

another reason I try to stay away from all in one deals they've not worked good enough for me, and a good reason why so many manufacturers sell indivdual elements because of reaction to eachother and keeping everything in solution evenly for every dose is difficult....but plenty of people have success with it, this could be a bad batch or contamination from something else, I would try again.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of the sizes, the 800gm and the 1600gm have the new, tamper proof lids. We needed to go to those due to some of the containers unscrewing themselves in shipping. Those new lids should screw on as well as the old ones. I will check and see if I can determine what you are referencing.
That is a great idea to have Temper Proof Lid as the plastic tears off to open.
However, the new lid is actually worse than I thought. It is not even twisted on! Basically just a tiny ridge on the lid over the container (see picture) so if you happen to hold the container by the top then it will slip off.
I am lucky only 1/3 of the powder poured out but still wasted $25 (as I didn't want to take my chance and scoop them off the floor).
If you want Tamper Proof Lids then a simple shrink on wrap would be perfect with the old design (see picture for an example of a simple Temper proof product).

20231120_204402.jpg 20231120_203320.jpg 20231120_204450.jpg

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great idea to have Temper Proof Lid as the plastic tears off to open.
However, the new lid is actually worse than I thought. It is not even twisted on! Basically just a tiny ridge on the lid over the container (see picture) so if you happen to hold the container by the top then it will slip off.
I am lucky only 1/3 of the powder poured out but still wasted $25 (as I didn't want to take my chance and scoop them off the floor).
If you want Tamper Proof Lids then a simple shrink on wrap would be perfect with the old design (see picture for an example of a simple Temper proof product).

20231120_204402.jpg 20231120_203320.jpg 20231120_204450.jpg
Thanks for this update and I am not sure about, maybe that particular set of lids was not applied correctly. I have not seen issues with the new lids until yours. I will forward you comments, concerns and pictures to the folks in Germany and maybe that will give us some insight.
Please send me you full name, phone number and mailing address so I can get a replacement jar out to you for your troubles. My email is [email protected]

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this update and I am not sure about, maybe that particular set of lids was not applied correctly. I have not seen issues with the new lids until yours. I will forward you comments, concerns and pictures to the folks in Germany and maybe that will give us some insight.
Please send me you full name, phone number and mailing address so I can get a replacement jar out to you for your troubles. My email is [email protected]
Thank you for looking into this! Keep us posted if you find out anything.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the new lid design is not great. I got a new AFR powder yesterday. Opened it and had to dump the powder into two food grade containers that have a sealing lid

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back